Sunday, August 5, 2012

Tweet, tweet, arrghh

Today is my last 'day off' until heading back to work for another set of shifts. I am at least going to score time and a half for one of those made up holidays which I've already had the actual weekend off and it's going to rain anyway.  What is not to like about that? I have had a weekend of single hood as the shore captain headed to the city to finish installing siding with the son-in-law. And I have to say that eating what (and when) you want, reading as late as you like in bed and keeping your own schedule does have something to recommend it. Reality will arrive with his return tomorrow.

I have been a busy girl on my time off as I've headed to the wild blueberry U Pick twice and harvested enough of those beautiful blue beauties to make two pies, a blueberry buckle and a blueberry coffee cake this afternoon. It's amazing that any of them turned out because my time was divided between baking and climbing up and down the step ladder attempting to silence the smoke detectors. Not really sure why they've malfunctioned but the electrician (when I finally reached him) told me that there could be dust or insects in them but their lifespan is about seven years, so they likely need to be replaced. The shore captain messed with one in the mud room last month, and decided a new battery was required, but we've known for some time that he's not an electrician. Since the darned things are wired in and in a series, they both blat together and the animals are not amused. The cats are particularly cranky but the poor dog had a canine mental breakdown complete with shivering uncontrollably, crying, digging at the doors and ultimately (when I didn't respond quickly enough as I was yet again on the phone trying to reach the electrician) she peed in my shoe in the front closet. Now, sorting shoes and scrubbing the hall closet is not something I generally do when baking either but it's just been that sort of afternoon. The electrician told me how to disable them by pinching the clip inside them to disconnect the power - and I'm a pretty determined woman when I put my mind to something so I'm here to tell you that this does NOT work. Since the detectors are wired in directly the only way to shut them off completely is to throw the switch for lights and all, this however is looking like a good alternative at this point. He did however tell me that he will replace the detectors tomorrow as they are heading down this way. How this is going to work with me sleeping tonight in order to go to work tomorrow is another matter. Sigh.

After recovering from night shift and doing the routine chores I was set to go on Thursday so picked up a buddy and we headed to a local town to run errands. Hit the Zellers store (as it will be closing) and picked up some great bargains. My friend even bought a new suitcase, one of those spiffy lightweight hard sided ones. She also found a pair of sneakers at the shoe store and we both did well at Frenchy's. Had a great lunch at Old World Bakery and Deli where we enjoyed a great sandwich and calzone respectively. It was a therapeutic outing as she has spent the weekend at a wedding in the city and all that family togetherness.....you get the picture. I haven't dared ask for an update on the social excursion since their expected return today.

Yesterday I headed to see my sister, my niece and her children who were visiting. They had had an eventful week including a call to 911 by Grant who had just turned two last week. When the RCMP came to investigate the call and asked "did someone here call 911?" my niece indicated Grant, who was standing on a chair beside her, helping to do dishes. We are planning a family BBQ when the other niece is posted 'back east' so will catch up with all the great nieces and nephew then. As they were readying to leave more of my sister's in-laws arrived for a final visit and one of the sister-in-laws was telling me about her pastor husband who was making his way home from Malawi that day where he'd been educating ministers for two weeks. Quite a challenge, not to mention over 24 hrs to get back.

After the visit I headed over to the yard sale which I'd previewed online and selected my treasures. It was an elderly lady's home, who had been a great historian and contributed to the genealogy of the area and had written a number of books. She had lovely collectibles and I made my way home with a beautiful steamer trunk, storage jars, antique tin and jug, casserole and tote to take it to a pot luck, and a chamber pot - so yes I do now have a pot to pee in.

On the way home I did a trial run of the U pick and in 45 minutes I managed to pick two and a half pounds so $4.50 well spent. Couldn't stay any longer as I didn't have a hat and it was a scorcher of a day, so decided to go earlier, with a hat and a friend for company another time. When I got home and hung out laundry the cats were sprawled on the floor of the veranda on the cool tiles, catching the ocean breeze. Too warm for fur coats. As I sat outside trying to study my NRP (Neonatal Resuscitation Program) material for the upcoming course I heard a snort and crash and when I looked up realized that a really large white tailed doe had been about 30 feet away in front of the house, so we both eyed each other for a few moments until she bounded off.

Today I followed through on the U pick plan after picking up a friend and in about an hour we picked two large containers full from just one patch. Got caught up on the news, it was a bit cooler and headed home to start baking. If I can convince another buddy to accompany me I just may go up again as they will be open another ten days or so. Have sampled the pie, and despite the distractions it turned out well. Enjoyed it while I caught up on the news with some western friends who are heading here on a visit for a wedding.

Had a quick message from the baby daughter saying that her bike (which had been chained and locked to the front step) was stolen on Wednesday. Now I have to add worrying about the neighbourhood she lives in as well as the other two.

Some of the healthcare budgetary cutbacks are causing a bit of a stir at work and this promises to be an 'interesting' fall. Just what I want to do - spend my days off on union business - not. I'm tired of being a grownup. I leave you with the quote of the day here on the left. Now off to study some of the course material.