Sunday, October 28, 2012

That's it.....I'm otta here

I am writing a quick update with my bags stacked around me as I wait to pack my modem and head out to the airport. The weather (here at least) looks clear (if not frigid) and I've called Canadian North to be told that 'as of now the flight is on time' so it sounds like all systems are go. Once the day arrives for departure you simply have to make up your mind, pack and go. 

I have mixed feelings about leaving Cambridge Bay as this has been a great experience but I am looking forward to seeing all my fur children and buddies at home and.....as Ahnold would say....."I'll be back" so it's not goodbye, but see you later. I am hoping to stay ahead of the predicted Frankenstorm (media term) heading towards the east coast which is a combo of hurricane Sandy and a midwest winter storm at the same time as high tides so lots of hype. The prediction is for the winds to kick up by Monday night at home and I'm 'supposed' to be in by 4 pm in Halifax so well ahead of it. We shall see. I shall be shedding my winter gear as I go along. 

I had a busy day on my last office day and the feeling that as I was starting to feel like I was making my way, it was time to wind things up. The final night on call was quite a production with many learning opportunities for me and it wrapped with me suturing. Yep, you read that correctly - I got to suture an eyebrow, 1% lidocaine, 5-0 prolene and voila. The NOC with me was patient and gave me the chance to learn (even though it was late and she could've done it in half the time) and although I'll get faster I was quite proud of myself to have learned how to tie the knots and the eyebrow sure looked a lot better when it left. 

Slept in yesterday and then got up to start throwing some things into the duffel bags. Off to have lunch with the lab tech, her husband and some other invited guests. Greek salad, arctic char, red wine and a lovely dessert in their cozy rented place. Decadent. Great conversation for the afternoon and home to get myself together. 

Spent the evening yakking it up with the roommate who although of the younger generation is wise beyond her years. She shared some northern stories as she's been several times to the next place it sounds like I'll be in January. Just waiting for a confirmation email as the phone discussion with the recruiter gave me my choice of the communities in this area. It'll be eight weeks next time so I'll feel as if I'm not so rushed. My roomie also tells me that there is one store for sure in Halifax (several it sounded like) which sell Canada Goose jackets. These are standard outdoor requirements for a Nunavut winter and cost about $800, but last a lifetime so....since Friday was the largest pay deposit I've ever received (minus the half which Stephen Harper took :( in one lump sum, I shall invest. 

So with that it's time to close down the laptop, pack the backpack and put the frozen char and musk ox burgers in the tote. Catch you on the flip side.