Monday, October 22, 2012

Weekend Walks

I was trying to figure out why the last posting came up as Saturday and have decided it's because the time on my computer is still set to 'home time' and as it's three hours ahead of here, I am posting after midnight (according to my MacBook Air) or so it appears. So rest assured, I am posting this on Sunday night, not 1 a.m. Monday morning. 

I had a great night on call where I only had a couple of phone calls. This didn't mean I slept well however as I've decided that I might as well be up and working if I'm on call as I keep jumping up to look at the phone to see if it's working, check for missed messages, think I hear the phone ringing and dream about answering it. If I do get up to give phone advice or go over to the health centre on a call I have trouble getting back to sleep. I had a phone call from a young fellow at 5:45 am complaining of dental pain which sounded like wisdom teeth erupting (it does help to have had children with the same issues) and he didn't have anything to take for pain. I told him to come in at 8 am and I would see him - why I waited I don't know as I really didn't fall back to sleep. After notifying the 2nd NOC (so she'd know where I was if I didn't come back) just before 8 am I headed over to the health centre and......he was a no show. That'll teach me. The 2nd NOC told me that he'd likely been going to bed when he called me and would come in when he felt like it. I did however see a guy who called shortly after I got there who had been poked in the eye by his wife about 3:30 am when they were drinking together. He had a nasty corneal abrasion which I discovered after flushing, freezing, staining and checking the eye with a blue light. Antibiotic eye ointment, patching and instruction to return to be checked in 24 hrs - which likely won't be heeded as he wasn't particularly alert. 

Some baking and laundry then I went out for a walk in the afternoon as it was a clear day and I'm still trying to get my bearings as to the lay of the land here. I discovered a coworker's two young fellows out with their sled and stopped to take their pictures. There was a small bush and the older guy says "guess where we're going to land? right in that bush!" I just smiled as I saw that one coming. 












Made my way around the edge of town looking out towards the weather station. Lots of dogs on the roam but none to bother me. Good to get outside and clear my head a bit as I'm not used to being without my dog walk. 

Today I had a rather lazy day after my early start and so I had a nice Skype chat (yes the video call was good quality) with the oldest daughter who has rescued a very cute kitty which looks to be about 8 months old from the shelter. She is pretty, affectionate, frisky and has personality so is really welcome. Well, not as she tried to sniff hair, look in eyes, purr in faces all night - I guess no one noticed if she was nocturnal at the shelter in her cage. She won't be long adjusting to the routine of sleeping during the day when her people are at work and getting attention in the evening.  I had some text messages from the second daughter saying she'd run her personal best for the Legs for Literacy race this morning in Moncton and her youngest sister and boyfriend had shown up in T-shirts naming themselves as her team. Had a chat with the roommate (yes she's the age of my oldest child) who is wise in the ways of all things Nunavut and she educated me to lots of the community information. 

This afternoon I headed out on a walk just as it began to snow again.  As I wandered past the church there were last minute preparations going on for a baptism which I know because one of the parishioners called out to someone next door at the adjacent building to "bring warm water for the baptism". A bit further along I encountered a lady out training her husky and it made me think of walking my own dog and how pleased I am that others have taken on this role in my absence.

church parking lot

sled dog training
As I ambled down by the bay I noticed the light in behind the snow which was headed our way and the ice freezing in to the shore. The light here is different than anywhere else in the world I think. And yes now is the time to be out walking and doing photographs because in the long dark days of January that won't be happening. 

Very difficult to believe that next week this time I'll be making my way home. The time has just flown by which means that a double length for the next contract shouldn't be a problem. Already have the Alberta daughter doing some research on good places to eat in Edmonton as we'll have the evening to spend together before I head east.  Speaking of travels the shore captain is making his way home tomorrow with luggage full of his trophies so hopefully his trip is more efficient and less eventful than the way out. Apparently he and his buddy have had a good visit and no further misadventures. Off to get ready for my final week of work.