Thursday, April 25, 2013

Kugluktuk Capers

Due to some technology 'delays' I originally typed this entry to save to a flashstick to take to work and post. My internet account initially had an anniversary date of the first so I planned to pay when May arrived as it's only a week for this month but the IT guy who came to set me up on the computer (and is now my new best friend) this morning at work said the anniversary date changed as soon as you pay for the account again so I am up and running with Skype, FB et al. I had thought (and hoped) to have cell coverage in Kugluktuk and in fact was assured there was cell coverage here which is essentially correct, however it's the card in the cell phone which is the issue. It's a CDM4 (or something close to that for a name) which is required vs a sim card and they aren't made anymore. The options are to obtain a card from Yellowknife, buy a phone from someone here or purchase a blackberry - none of which I'm planning to do. When I briefly visited work yesterday (more on that later) and asked about the cell situation I was advised that texting was possible but….not. I have Penny Talk to use for the apartment phone and have circulated the number for incoming calls. The most annoying thing is paying for my cell while it sits in the closet. Enough whining. 

Started out on Sunday so felt like I'd been traveling for three days - oh wait, I did. The life partner suggested an overnight before the early morning flight and so we had a 'city day' and a good sleep versus a middle of the night drive. We arrived noonish and visited with daughter #2 and our son-in-law before doing a few last minute errands - new earphones and some garlic for me, a failed attempt at sneakers for the shore captain who pronounced "I'm not a chartreuse kind of guy" as explanation to turning down every pair he looked at. We had a wonderful supper at Ela's (formerly called Opa's) with a huge appetizer tray, lamb chops, pita and dips. Even had to refuse the dessert menu we were so full. The Holiday Inn Express at the airport is a nice spot with large rooms and breakfast included (for those who aren't departing too early) great staff and an airport shuttle. 

Monday was an early start as I checked in by 5:45 a.m. Yet again the travel agent had attached all my flights to the same e-ticket so I wan't able to check in online ensuring on a full flight that I got the middle seat of course. My seat mate was an RCMP polygraph operator heading to Toronto for work for the week. He'd worked in Labrador and recognized the shore captain's name from his previous life of RCMP officer on the Labrador coast. Small world eh? A quick stop at Pearson where I indulged in a chocolate croissant and yogurt with berries - not going to have those options where I'm headed. I was paged to the desk and asked if i'd mind switching seats as a couple would like to sit together (they'd already missed their connection from Antigua due to mechanical problems and been flying an extra day) and I'm offered a window seat in exchange. Not a problem I assured them. When we board I find a man in my assigned seat so approach the flight attendant who checks to see why the system put two people in the same seat. He is relocated (I hope there's no bad karma with booting him out) and I take my seat in the last row of the plane (you know the one which doesn't recline and is just in front of the bathroom and galley). Of course as soon as we're in the air the man in the seat ahead of me reclines his seat as far as it will go into my face and the sound on the movie doesn't work. Maybe there is some karma at work. I chat with a man heading out to deal with the aging parents issue and I tell him that I've "been there, done that" and reassure him. Daughter #1 is waiting for me and we head out to have some lunch and get caught up on the news. I've got a slightly longer visit today (due to the early leave) and she's taken the beautiful sunny day off work so we make the most of our drive to Red Deer. Still snow in the fields here but very mild and spring like. I enjoy meeting the kitties that she's rescued - my goodness they are certainly cute, very chatty and busy and of course photogenic. We have tea made in her space age tea infuser - reminds one of the Jetsons when the tray of tea leaves is lowered automatically into the hot water. We pick up groceries and she is a good help for such projects as she knows what's available where and is creative about supplies. I am always reminded of the excess packaging when I pack my tote for north and there are stacks of boxes left over. A nice drive back to the airport hotel, a quick goodbye and check in at the hotel, throw the perishables in the fridge, soak in the tub and crash for a few hours. 

Up at 6 am but it's Monday and the hotel is a busy spot so I don't make the 6:40 am shuttle to the airport due to lack of luggage racks. Opt instead for a cab and it's certainly worth the $12 + tip as it's a direct run - to be late for checkin and then stop at various airlines is nerve wracking. I'm delivered at the door and assisted with my action packer. The check in with Canadian North is a struggle as my action packer is over weight and I'm coerced into paying extra for priority tags for my bags. I also have to take out enough weight to allow them to ship the container as 75 lbs is the maximum. The employee checking me in told me that the reason is safety as "no one can lift over 75 lbs" which of course means none of them could be nurses. By the time I jam oranges, apples and a bag of sugar in my knapsack, the clerk gives in. She gives me new cable ties and I reapply the duct tape. I drag the tote to the overweight belt, heave it on by myself and it's gone. I head over to the security line which is mercifully short for once. While my knapsack is being scanned the security guard asks what I have in the bag "oranges and apples" I tell him and he says "do you have a ham?" This causes a momentary panic as I'm pretty sure I've put the ham back in the action packer which will be cool all the way in the cargo section of the plane but when the pack is searched we realize it's a bag of sugar -  likely not a frequent carry on item I'm thinking.  Through and the plane is boarding.  It's windy and so some turbulence on the way up and down but an overall uneventful flight with breakfast served. A quick transfer at  Yellowknife and the final text sent to update my progress and out on to the windy, snowy tarmac to the smaller plane. Only one free seat this time and the window seat is taken (although it's mine on the boarding pass) but this isn't unusual in the north so I settle in to the aisle seat. Again turbulence on the way up and down and a second breakfast served, followed by a nap due to the short night. 

Plane to Kugluktuk arrivals area
It's a lovely sunny day in Kugluktuk and only -12 c so positively balmy. I'm approached in the terminal by the janitor from the health centre who introduces himself as J.R  and assures me that I will love Kugluktuk. Outside to retrieve the bags and through the hamlet showing me the landmarks then a quick swerve to to the left and we're in front of apartment 526. He advises he'll pick me up at 1:30 pm so I struggle to put a few things away in my closet, find a uniform and my nursing gear, throw the perishables in the fridge and am just attempting to get the grippers back on my BOGS when he arrives. I'm introduced to Catherine, one of the cleaning staff who's riding shotgun, and we drive past the stores, school and streets of houses while JR assures me that I've come at a good time as everyone is heading out on the land now on the weekends so I head in to the health centre. Sam (the acting SHP) is very surprised to see me, attempting to find a spot for me and thought I'd be in to work in the a.m. I quickly accept the offer of heading home to unpack and be picked up in the morning. I walk over to the Northern store (prices much more reasonable than I'm used to north of 60) I pick up some supplies then make my way past the Coop to the apartment. I take some photos along the way to post and am surprised at how pleasant the weather is. Here is a sample:
Kugluktuk stereoscope

High School
Kugluktuk Hamlet Office
Northern Store

Kugluktuk Health Centre
10:30 pm window view
A three hour nap puts me in a better frame of mind and then I get myself unpacked, groceries put away and generally organized. I use Penny Talk and leave a message for daughter #1 with the phone number of the apartment. Grab a bite to eat and head upstairs for bed. It is still very light at 10 so I'm grateful for the aluminum foil on the bedroom window - sunrise 5 a.m. and sunset 10 p.m. today and not really dark during the night actually. 

I am awake before the alarm (time zone change gets me every time) and ready for the day fairly quickly. I am picked up by a coworker and the fun begins. In to the health centre where I'm introduced to many new faces and shown an office that will be mine for a bit then I'll move to another, the staff room and then I notice every one is missing. I wander for a bit thinking someone will come to rescue me and the nurse in charge appears saying "I was wondering where you were, report is in here" so I say "I didn't know where it was so I figured someone would come back for me". Always the new kid on the team when you move to a new place. There are two staff who had worked in Taloyoak although not when I was there, and another I've seen on teleconference, a physician I've never heard of and mental health nurse I was introduced to yesterday as well as home care nurse who is leaving tomorrow so I don't invest any energy in remembering her details. It sounds as if things have been busy and of course I have no idea of the regulars they are discussing - I am sure I will quickly be more than aware. The morning passes by in a blur of trying to find equipment, drugs, supplies, forms and understand how things are done here while not appearing too stupid to the few patients I see. I throw out the (this time 120) work emails which are never cleared from the mailbox as is the case in the absence of casual employees. I ask the front desk staff innumerable questions and rotate my nursing questions through the four CHN coworkers so that unless they compare notes they won't think I'm a complete imbecile. Lunch arrives and I am chauffeured to my apartment and advised I'll be picked up at five to one. Here are some shots which I took over the noon hour of my living space for the next few weeks:
Transient apt 526
Livingroom, dining/kitchen, laundry
Bedroom


Stairs  - what are those?
It's fine for just me but it does have three bedrooms and I can't imagine three people fitting into the small kitchen at the same time. It's also really warm and although the heat doesn't appear to be on perhaps it's from the solar gain through the front window or even one of the flanking apartments. I have been forced to leave open the only window which is openable to make the temperature manageable. It is so mild that huge chunks of ice are melting off the roofs and crashing to the ground, best not to stand too near to buildings. 

The afternoon was a busy blur of well baby visits and immunizations where I tried to find my way around the routine but didn't succeed completely - such is the way of a new location. I was relieved when quitting time came but mildly anxious to find out I am on call tomorrow, it's blood draw day and apparently the CHNs are tasked with going out to visit homecare clients who can't come to the health centre. Should be an interesting ride. Best get rested up for it.