Monday, April 29, 2013

Only -32c? Must be spring

Here it is late Sunday evening, work in the morning awaits me and I still haven't updated the blog which I've been intending to do all weekend. I have had the weekend off - meaning no call since Friday night to Saturday morning - and have enjoyed myself thoroughly but not necessarily accomplished much.  Meant to do some baking, planned to watch some tutorials, downloaded an e-book - Bossy Pants by Tina Fey but didn't open it. Hard to believe that a week ago I started out traveling.

Over the weekend I managed to catch up on the news at home by phone, Skype, FB video chat, and online chatting. I was most impressed with a coworker who called me on video chat - I couldn't believe how technologically advanced she was. We discussed her planned retirement in October, her daughter's wedding next summer and the news from work. When it came time to say goodbye however, we both tried to disconnect and neither of us could make the video screen disappear. It was like 'big brother is watching you' and we were being stalked. I finally had to shut down my computer. Ha! That's more like it we said.

I have to report (sadly) that the tattoo has completely faded - oh well, all good things must come to an end. It was a good run. Having one does kind of make you want another. Too bad I form keloids so not for me.

It is 11 pm and barely dusk here, as I look across at the hamlet office I see the outside lights have just come on. My new roommate (wasn't aware I was getting one) from Moncton arrived this afternoon and she's a home care nurse. She works for an agency so we've been comparing notes. I set her up with Penny Talk and she's going to pick up a modem tomorrow so she can have internet. Nice to have company. We went for a walk about 9:30 p.m. and it was still brilliant sunshine, had to wear my sunglasses. We were pleased to hear that despite the can of bear spray on the shelf in the porch (and it is full so hopefully not needed) there are no polar bears here and a grizzly hasn't been seen for years.
Musk ox hides, antlers & skidoos
Overlooking the runway 
Kugluktuk St. 
It's been cold this weekend, with the wind chill at -31c I ventured out for some photos yesterday but didn't stay out too long. This evening it was chilly but mild without the wind. I missed a cute photo op yesterday with a father, his husky harnessed to a plastic sled for training and a preschooler hanging on with a huge smile running up the street. By the time I got my mitts off and the camera out of my pocket they had rounded the corner and were gone. Tonight we saw some young fellows on top of a snowbank taking turns sliding down the embankment into a parking lot in a yellow banana box. Repurposing at its best. Yeehaw! As I told someone from home who gasped at the temperatures "this is my third winter since October so I'm getting pretty good at it now". 

I'm reminded of some northern rules and issues which I did know from decades ago but had forgotten - buy milk in a jug not a carton as it's less likely to leak. If an avocado is available and looks reasonable, even if it costs $2.69 - buy it! Anything on sale will be almost outdated, freezer burnt or thawed and refrozen into a strange texture or shape or completely unwelcome to locals.
Solvent use is a probl
There was some major vandalism of the community centre this week and it won't be reopened for teen get togethers due to the damage. There is a curfew and the siren blows at 9:45 p.m. to remind those under (I think) 14 to head on home. Not sure how effective it is or what age group is the problem. The community is a friendly one and I've felt very welcome here by coworkers, patients, clerks in the stores and people on the street. However, I've been told not to leave valuables in my pockets at work. One of my coworkers lost $145 last week and a few weeks ago another lost $60. But I ask you - when the craft sellers appear on Friday....how will I buy anything? 

With four CHNs and a SHP in this community, it  means that a nurse is only on call two days out of five so (as I mentioned in having the weekend free) not as lucrative a contract. But as the life partner advised me "someone else paid for you to see this part of Nunavut" and it is very expensive to travel in the north. 

In my search for something else I found a great link to some Kugluktuk photos throughout the seasons so offer it here - some lovely shots, much better than I could hope to do:

http://www.fluidr.com/places/Canada/Nunavut/Kugluktuk/interesting

So, I must sign off and crawl under the blankets as tomorrow is a new work week.