Wednesday, April 13, 2016

Home stretch

To quote my job share partner….I am on my way home to replenish my emotional and physical stock. As I type this in the refurbished Terminal 3 of Pearson airport, I am awaiting my final flight of the three day odyssey home making the total of 14 take offs and landings. The cab for airport pickup has been booked, my trusty vehicle is in my nursing classmate's yard awaiting me and the weather forecast has changed from periods of rain to nice day. What more could you ask for? Good thing I checked my tickets last night as I had an early morning flight at 7 am and will be arriving in earlier than expected. Bonus

I have met interesting people along the way including a sea ice depth researcher who has a PhD. Made me smile as I have collected up some local knowledge which he was unaware of. He and I exchanged northern info from Inuvik to Yellowknife and it made the flight pass quickly. I fondly recalled a nurse I worked with (who cares deeply for northern folks) stating…well, you're not going to make them PhDs but they are good people.

I had another smile when I noticed the FB post last week of a daughter's classmate who is a physician now…..Mom: Do you have any questions for the doctor before we go? Kid: Mmm... Do you have any pets? I replied that I hoped he'd disclosed he has a cat, as disclosures of conflict of interest are always noted when Drs publish or speak at conferences.

The shore captain has already related the story of his big orange crew cab 4wheel drive truck mishap…Apparently while on his way home to head to the city and taking the oldest for an interview with the Navy (where she was told she was qualified - which we already knew, but is nice to hear from those who want you, to view the house the baby daughter had recently bought and moved in to, and celebrate the 30th birthday of the teacher daughter….he was in the wrong place. A few km from home he happened upon the traffic cones making one lane and a small bucket truck checking lines and stopped, then noticed the traffic control half ton truck stopped in the road. He heard a beep….beep….beep and after a few seconds it registered….oh no, he's backing up. He jammed the gearshift back down towards reverse but only made it as far as neutral before the crunch, sorrowfully telling me that a few years ago with quicker reflexes he might've made it to reverse. I assured him that even neutral would have allowed the truck to move when impacted and likely prevented whiplash, deployment of airbags and even more damage. The entire front of his truck was pushed backwards, but thankfully the radiator was spared so it was drivable and didn't seem to be 'out of line'. The security dudes were quickly out of the truck and apologetic as the driver had just dropped the truck into reverse and hit the gas without even checking his mirror. Needless to say he was late (a not uncommon state for the shore captain) for his city trip.

Have had a good chat with the daughter vacationing in Cuba and a Cuban friend as well as a paramedic buddy who is following behind me as he leaves Alberta on his trek home. The layover has slipped by and our fully sold out flight is boarding after some threats to check some bags…..