Sunday, July 3, 2016

I'm baaaccckkkkkkkkk

After a hiatus of over two months (likely my longest blogging absence) I am bacckkkkk. Thanks for your patience and lack of scolding. There's been a lot going on in my life and I finally have some answers so will update you. Although this blog is usually focused on others as patients, I have been on the other side of the curtain for a bit. It's been an interesting experience and the 'research' I've done will allow me to share with patients in the future. The highlights:

I began experiencing symptoms while working north and they increased when I arrived home in mid April. I began a round of Dr. appointments, tests and good news/bad news (much like Curious George who if you remember was a curious little monkey where for example…unfortunately he fell out of a plane, fortunately had a parachute, unfortunately it didn't open, fortunately there was a haystack, unfortunately it had a pitch fork, fortunately he missed it, unfortunately he also missed the haystack) if you get my drift. The first gynaecologist appointment resulted in a uterine biopsy and ultrasound and on April 29th I received a life changing call from the surgeon which is never anticipated "the pathology on the biopsy shows it's malignant". This resulted in more tests with an MRI (almost lost my mind with claustrophobia) and CT (gastrographin - the contrast media - tastes nasty and gives you the runs) to ascertain spread (appears localized) and then referral to the NS Cancer Centre. Depressing spot with great staff (mix up and no appointment but I was fitted in) and saw a surgeon who booked me for a hysterectomy within 10 days. Grandson gave me a cold and I panicked and got some meds pre op so as not to get cancelled. Surgeon advised that chemotherapy would be started in three to four weeks and I'll be doing six cycles with treatments every three weeks as an outpatient in the city. Had a great post op stay in hospital with lots of visits and really swift recovery - only took tylenol for pain, no narcotics. Discharged on day three (they wanted to send me day two) and remembered well we used to keep patients for over a week post op hyst. I ran into problems within a day of being home with abdominal pain and vomiting, feeling the worst I've ever felt in my life. Back and forth over the next week multiple times to ER and finally at two weeks post op a CT was done showing I had two large intrabdominal abscesses and an enlarged right kidney. This resulted in more consults and finally transfer to the city hospital for ten days of IV antibiotics and tests such as oral/rectal CT (which is as much fun as it sounds) and a cystoscopy with insertion of stent in my ureter. Will have a CT in a few weeks and start treatments. So, enough gory details as I'm now home, eating a low fibre/ high protein diet to get myself built back up as I am down to 135 lb. I have wrapped my head around the positive outlook required and am a fighter so this is a just a bump in the road. Tough way to get the summer off work though I am enjoying the sun on the deck as I look at the ducks in the harbour in front of the house. 

I have another few weeks before I can drive myself and that is a pain, now that I'm feeling better. We have never been a couple where mister has to drive me to the grocery store. His version of 'shopping' is running in and picking up several things and rushing out. Yesterday I found myself saying "you have left the cart in the middle of the aisle would you do that with a vehicle?" multiple times as he did not follow any of the direction of flow, park near the shelves rules while organizing meals in my mind sending him sourcing ingredients and lifting heavy (have a 10 lb lifting restriction) bags etc. This was accomplished with audible sighs and eye rolling. It was likely my one 'shop' in a while so I made it count and for my troubles he commented  "if this had gone on any longer I was thinking I needed to bring a change of clothes".  It was a bit more complex with the label reading to switch to low fibre for me (a temporary requirement from all my complications) but really not as painful as the life partner interpreted. I borrowed the juicer machine from a daughter and am experimenting/learning with it as it's the only way I get my fruits and veggies for a bit. 

Have been overwhelmed with the support of family and friends on this journey as I have been spoiled rotten. Visits, offers of help, gifts (adult colouring book is awesome), calls, house calls to mind the kitties and the green house while away, flowers, messages have made me feel so special and a bit overwhelmed. Came home from shopping to find delicious chocolate chip cookies and a good book on the counter. Anyway, enough of the illness talk…I am already scheming as to how I can fit in a cross border trip before treatments (travel insurance wouldn't cover a pre-existing condition once I begin chemo) and perhaps an interprovincial one on good weeks…..gotta have plans. 

I have managed to shirk my baby shower hostessing responsibilities through this journey and the grand baby's other grandmother has stepped up to the plate so next weekend will be spent celebrating a new addition to the family expected in September. Nice chance to see everyone in a positive celebration. 

As my poor job share partner covers my rotation and speaks of all sorts of work related projects it is just background noise at this point as my sick leave has started. Enough chatting, out to source some vitamin D.