Monday, April 2, 2007

Into the countdown

Although it's one work day down and three to go this week...I have decided that working six hours per day (and getting paid for 7.5) is about right as that's what I did today when I took two hours of time in lieu this afternoon. It enabled me to pick up some last minute items (cannot argue with the .94 price in the Superstore bin of a white bucket hat that even my fashion consultant approved of to shade my face with it's new pink spot in place of the former skin lesion), buy my US dollars at the bank (only 17 cents on the dollar - good for travel, bad for exporting) get supper and a loaf of brown bread started (in part required because the baby took two buttered slices of brown bread with her to her room after school - contravening the house rules of NO food and drink past the archway to the bedrooms - and the dog wolfed them down in two gulps when she left them unattended) then a walk with the dog (she's got to burn those carbs off somehow) before the King of the Castle arrived home. Now if only this was my regular reduced work schedule. Sigh.

I think that daughter # 3 is well on the way to thinking like a nurse as one of the requirements is to be caring but firm at work and tough at home. "Don't look for sympathy for yourself from a nurse" says my other half (and many other nurse spouses) I think it has something to do with working with patients/families who are dealing with life and death issues moment by moment then coming home to someone with a hangnail or sniffle who are thinking they need palliative care. Today's issue was my life partner sharing at supper that he "ached all over and just didn't feel good all day" while he forces out a cough. So the future nurse looks her father in the eye and says "oh I hate it when you're sick, you're such a baby" There really is no response for that so he just sighed, feeling he was outnumbered by nurses I guess. He's spent the evening whining on the couch and being admonished to "cough in your sleeve" by both his caregivers and threated with sleeping in the prodigal son's bedroom as it's already contaminated (he having been the first victim of the 'dog ail' as his Grawmp used to call it) by his bed partner. The latest update is the very caring daughter has just presented herself at the door to say "I've been barked on so much, now I think I'm getting it, my head feels this big" and exited to her room. Should these microbes be passed along to yours truly to take with her on the trip there will be war or at least a family feud!

A regular blog reader shared that when her mother traveled she always took her worst looking underwear with her and threw them away as she went along, leaving more room as she returned. The exact opposite of the 'take your best' approach I'm applying. I'm thinking my morbid fear of raggedy drawers stems from viewing busted suitcases circling the baggage carousel with lacy panties poofing out the side for all to witness or watching gloved customs officials fingering someone else's undies as they search for contraband. Don't let that be me, don't let that be me. I'm reminded of checking our youngest daughter the last thing as we went out the door to school up until senior elementary "do you have panties on? let me see" was the standard exit line. "They don't feel good" was her usual complaint when she was discovered going commando. Thank goodness she's outgrown that stage and it's not a necessary morning check now at almost age 18.

So the forecast in SW Nova Scotia for two days this week is rain or snow with temperatures of 2 c while the forecast for Miami on Sunday is partly sunny with highs in the lower 80s. Belize is for 28 Costa Maya is 27 c and this photo is what Google brought me for doing a weather search - I guess figuring a picture is worth a thousand words, well least this one eh?. Can't hardly wait. For Cozumel it's 28 c and Grand Cayman is 26 c so that's next week taken care of. Not much of a choice really is there?

Off to read my novel (got to get in practice) on the contaminated couch before I subject myself to the barking chamber. Hasta manana.