Thursday, February 21, 2008

Application plans

The first visit of the morning was from the telephone repair tech who gave me phone access so that was a positive start. I waded through my list of tasks, being constantly sidetracked of course but told myself that my 'take back the lunch hour' plan was a priority so locked the door and read the paper, ignoring several knocks. The boss instructed that I make plans for the national conference in Montreal the first week of June as it is my turn to attend so I will sort that out tomorrow. The following exchange between myself and one of the Managers shows how folks feel just before they leave on vacation:

She: I will let you proceed as I will be on vacation. Handle it roy

Me: I need another vacation after the ‘tree incident’ can I come with you? Who is roy?

She: I do not know but he is always in the saying (A Lockeport thing maybe)

Apparently he spells his name without a capital as well. The day ended on a rather hectic note and when I finally extricated myself from the furor it was 5 p.m.

I am most pleased to announce that the casa was positively balmy when I got home from work thanks to a functioning heating system and solar gain from the weak winter sun with the bitter wind chill held at bay by low E windows. Almost unbelievably mister had been out with the chain saw and was helping one of his employees load firewood on the back of his truck. As I pointed out, that is pretty expensive wood you're handing out there. Appears he hadn't shared his "I'm a lumberjack and I'm okay" story with the colleagues at work yet so I filled in the blanks.

I had a message from the videographer who filmed my lobstering presentation at the library saying she was having some technical difficulties getting it burned to a DVD but was just making sure it could be viewed in Miami. Good to have connections with an ex-pat when you're dealing with Stateside issues. We were both on the same wavelength as I was thinking of getting my act together to submit my application to an agent for the cruise ship speaking.

With this scheme in mind I was trying to pin down the shore captain as to his projected schedule for the next civil service fiscal year (April 1) and that was an exercise in frustration considering I'm dealing with a man who can't tell you whether he'll be unloading a boat Saturday or Sunday. Every decision we've ever had to make for the past 28 years has been 'weather dependent' and here I am asking him when it's likely he can free up a week so I can give a heads up for the vacation rota. When I asked him what was the latest date in April he could get away before things really took off with lobstering/fishing he says "where were you planning on going?" To which I replied "what does it matter? That's like asking what's for supper when you've been invited to someone's house. Didn't your mother tell you that's not polite?" So he pondered briefly and decided that nothing after the 1st of April would work. When I questioned as to when things might slowdown (and trust me the winnowing process was like pulling teeth) he finally suggested that with a great deal of planning he MIGHT be able to free up a week in mid-November. This I pointed out was at the peak of hurricane season in the tropics. He eyed me skeptically (afraid to ask again where the intended destination was) and agreed. He is afraid of being left behind, not sure of the plan but not willing to take the chance - he DID learn his lesson last spring by being too busy to be my travel partner.

Tomorrow is Friday and it begins with a visit from the cleaning lady. There are plans to see the movie Bucket List at the local theatre and if the husbands are antisocial when Saturday night arrives then it will be a girl's evening. I picked up the latest Michael Ondaatje book Divisadero which I'd ordered from the library so I don't care if the predicted snow arrives. Already things are looking up.