Friday, June 27, 2008

Cell phones and coffee

Well the start of what may be for some a long weekend, not for me but a weekend is a weekend and I’ll take it. Especially after the work week and this one has been a humdinger. By 9:30 I was ready to call it a day and it just kept spiraling downward. No one was happy, the whole place was in turmoil, and one of the Docs had a meltdown directed at moi in the middle of it. When a staff member reported they had found a senior male patient on the floor under his bed the assumption was that he’d fallen so when the crew rushed in to find out what was going on he said “I’m down here looking for a part to my razor” with a look which definitely questioned the sanity of the three nursing staff hovering over him. Crisis averted. At one point I thought to myself “I must seem like Maxwell Smart in Get Smart” as he used to talk into the shoe phone and have one on each side of his head as there were three or four times when I had the cell phone on one ear and the desk phone on the other.

Mind you I had better phone luck than the shore captain who apparently was offered a coffee in the bait shed. Sounds like a pretty decadent bait shed with a coffee maker set up to me but he says he poured a cup of coffee putting the milk in and getting it just right then took it out to his truck and setting the coffee in the cup holder and his cell phone in a shelf in the dash. When he headed up over the hill (you guessed it) kerplunk the cell phone landed right in the coffee spilling the perfect cup of java and frying the phone which didn’t like the caffeine as much as its owner. So before 9 a.m. he was at the local electronics store buying a new one. This one (which he swears was the cheapest) has all the bells and whistles of camera etc. I can’t wait to hear what the baby daughter says as she maintains due to his cell phone track record he doesn’t deserve to have such a nice one. As the oldest daughter said when checking in from Calgary “how many cell phones is that for him now?”

Speaking of the oldest daughter - she was filling us in on a place she’s found in Red Deer, which sounds just right for her. One whole floor to herself and the apartment above has a Columbian couple living there so she even gets to practice her Spanish. Must be all the positive energy she’s putting into planning which is resulting in such great finds. She’s really looking forward to relocating now that she’s made the decision to move.

I got the car in to the garage for safety inspection and that resulted in a $300 + bill for rear ball joints so it would pass for a sticker. By the time I picked up my order from Sears of cruise wear (brown wrap dress and black evening pants which both are great) and grabbed something for supper I just made it home in time to feed the man before he headed out again to chase boats. As I headed out to walk the dog I had a chat with one the neighbours who’s a bit of rough around the edges philosopher king and he was giving me his theory on how to live a long life. “Just decide to be happy,” he said, “if you don’t have a content mind you don’t have anything”. He followed with “we’re lucky to live where we do and have what we have, we should be grateful for that”. I couldn’t agree more.

I had provided a reference for daughter # 2 and boyfriend who are in the process of rescuing a cat from the SPCA. Apparently his name is Braticus and he’s a 2.5 years old tortoise shell tabby who they have fallen in love with. The older sister had posted an entry on Facebook that she was going to be an aunt. Tonight when our son and his girlfriend arrived at suppertime she was telling me that her Mom was most concerned to read this entry and was alarmed they were adding to the world’s population. When I explained the feline adoption she went right to the phone to reassure her mother. I could emphasize with her mother’s fear.

As you can see I’m procrastinating from working on my presentations although I’ve got a fair bit of research material gathered, just have to get it together over the weekend. I’m thinking this graphic a friend sent may be a good illustration:

As you can see, unlike my travel/life partner I do not enjoy leaving everything to the very last moment then turning the house upside down while I frantically throw everything into luggage. But I am sure I will be an unwilling participant in such a frenzy in about 12 days because....we're into the countdown with departure only 13 days away - yeehaw!