Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Hanging out in Halifax

Since I'm squatting with daughter # 2 in Halifax as I head to a conference in the morning on of all things....conflict management skills for women, I'm availing myself of the high speed internet.

I managed to misplace my drivers license and visa somehow yesterday at work while paying for the airfare for the October cruise so I spent the morning tearing my office apart, searching various areas, checking out the car, driving home and tearing the house apart all without success. I had a distinct notion of what dementia feels like for a few hours there. So I ended up canceling the credit card (after I checked to make sure it wouldn't affect the reservations I'd made for Iceland or Southampton both of which are tres expensive) and fingers crossed the replacement will arrive next week. If couriered to the local bank branch it's quicker apparently. And on my way down to the city I took a detour into the DVM office to replace the license. It was due to be replaced in September so this senior moment saved me from doing it then and the clerk was nice enough to say it would save me the $21 replacement fee. So a good recovery from the absent mindedness.

As the daughter was heading off to a class at the gym I had her drop me at the mall and I picked up some last minute things and then she and I hit Winners and WalMart after she picked me up. I found a bathing suit for the man of the house who says "how much swimming do you think I'm gonna do?" when I asked about a swimsuit. When I reminded him that he likes to sit in the hot tub he agreed that I should see what I could find then. Purse, sandals, makeup bag...so the list is whittled down to haircuts now that's progress.

I'm working on my presentations (when life lets me) and have some good leads for research thanks to friends, neighbours, the shore captain himself and the world wide web. I'm thinking I should be able to pull it all together by the first of next week as I'm getting too old to pull an all nighter for a project.