Wednesday, February 25, 2009

Hump Day update

Well a few moments to update the situation as it’s already hump day and there have been things happening since I last posted on the weekend. Just had a phone conversation with the Captain who had his surgery this afternoon and was only out of the recovery room about ½ hour but still sounded more coherent than most that are fully conscious. Before he went to the OR he was up walking with assistance he said, so it appears the sacral vertebrae fracture must be stable. He was finding the days long he said so a tentative run to the city is in the works for Friday to check him out in person. He’s quite a poster boy for recovery from traumatic events, high pain threshold, and generally strong constitution goes.

Had an overnight guest in the form of a co-worker who came to do a workplace audit and enjoyed his company. The man of the house made seafood chowder for supper, commented that my biscuits “weren’t your best effort” although he grudgingly agreed with the guest that the apple pie was great and then stayed up to 9:30 p.m. as he was just showing off because I always say he’s in bed by 8:30 p.m. The animals were ecstatic as our houseguest is a critter person and so was checked out by the cats when he went to bed – mercifully Gary did not sit on his back as he sometimes abuses his owners thus. It was a great morning at work as I didn’t feel as if I were on my own facing the angst.

On the negative scorecard – the mailbox was yet again murdered by the plow operator – as the shore captain said “now he’s going out of his way to be a jerk!” and the prodigal son said “I know where he lives and I’m going to tell him the next time I see him that I’ll beat the crap out of his mailbox so he can see how it feels” as this is the third box in as many years and after all only three weeks since the most recent one was installed. But the end result is that we have not been getting mail delivered. Today was a balmy day where you could almost believe spring will come soon and the mail driver took pity on us and left our bills in a plastic Canada Post bag in the mailbox, which looks as if it has suffered a shark attack, as there’s a big bite out of the entire front. I would post a picture but I get so angry each time I see it that this is not possible.

On the positive balance - I always do the weekly tropical medicine case study from the course in Peru (which loyal blog readers will know I covet and WILL do some day) and managed to correctly diagnose typhoid. Not a lot of calls for that talent in rural Nova Scotia but you have to keep your skills sharp.