Sunday, February 22, 2009

Not David Adams Richards

Just an update after getting the latest info from the Captain’s wife this morning - he had been airlifted to Halifax yesterday and seemed somewhat more stable this morning as he had been moved from ICU to step down unit. I told her that he’d have to get some of those tubes out before the shore captain would be up for a visit being he’s not a big fan of hospitals, needles and the like. We both agreed that it was a good thing that her husband is a stubborn sort as he’s going to need every bit of determination he has in the next little while. Just wanted to reassure her that they should just concentrate on his recovery and not be concerned about anything else. His Dad who has been a resident for a couple of years on the Alzheimer’s unit of the nursing home where Mom lived, is not doing well apparently so that will be another bridge to cross shortly.

Apparently in the middle of all the other excitement it appears that the shore captain’s 16 yr old nephew fractured his leg playing hockey in the valley on Friday p.m. so will have to return to assess whether surgery is required.

Lest this post sound like a David Adams Richards novel in its darkness I shall move on.

Things have been a bit too frantic here to do my presentation research this weekend (or at least that’s my excuse of the day) but I must get my act together as it’s under a month before we head out. The original spot I’d been looking for was on Feb 20th, which turned out to be filled so we took March 20th as a disembarkation date and a good thing too as this Friday past was not a day I’d like to be leaving home. When discussing it with the travel partner he said “boy I’m sure going to be ready for a vacation when it comes now” and he even went as far as pulling his swim trunks out of the drawer. I’m not sure you understand that this is a major move for Mr. Last Minute Packer himself!

The boy brought the boat around to the wharf this morning without incident; the arrival did however initiate a steady stream of rubberneckers checking things out. There is a father and son team rigging new gear in the man cave as I post and apparently negotiations are underway for the boy captain to step up to the plate and take the boat at least temporarily. I’m not sure my nerves will stand such a development but as I assured a friend – if HE decides he wants to do it, the prodigal son can do anything, the problem is usually that he doesn’t tend to see relevance in the same things his parents do. So we shall see.



The student nurse is studying for midterms and continues to do well on her stats course - obviously those genes received from her father - as well as her health assessment course, I would like to think I've contributed somewhat to those brain cells. Had a chat this weekend with the student teacher who had enjoyed her practice week which included a ski trip to Martock and a conference day as well as the chance to learn from a good grade 4 teacher who gave her a fine evaluation. The business chick daughter was enjoying a day off in Calgary watching a lacrosse game and will still have tomorrow off due to her new schedule - that's the hardest part to take, that she has Mondays off!!!!

My friend picked up my library book for me – Outliers, by Malcolm Gladwell (of The Tipping Point and Blink fame) and it looks like a good read. I shall have to make more hours in the day I think, as yesterday’s paper is still looking at me. The storm predicted for tomorrow is forecast to be more rain than snow locally so I won’t have that excuse to absent myself from work – where do those weekends go?