Saturday, February 28, 2009

Recovering well

Well, we made a quick turnaround trip into the city to see how the Captain was recovering and were very pleased to find him complaining about the hospital food. A very good sign when you’re starting to think of that sort of stuff I told him. He’s pleased there’s a Tim Horton’s in the lobby and is planning on a breakfast sandwich in the a.m. He was a bit pale but was pretty much free of tubes and looking forward to getting on his feet. So it was a reassuring if flying visit.

We did manage to have supper at Mezzas (Lebanese food) with daughter # 2 and her main man and that was a nice change as upon reflection we hadn’t been out to eat since we were out west last fall visiting daughter # 1. Speaks to our schedules eh?

And speaking of daughter # 1 the other excitement in our family was that she called this week to say their bank branch had been robbed, in case her father the TV news addict saw it watching the Edmonton channel. Since she doesn’t work as a teller she wasn’t immediately aware of the lockdown even. They were having a counselor brought in and one of her co-workers mentioned she hoped he was hot. I told her that the counselor our EAP sends is a gray haired lady so good luck with that.

I spent the afternoon at an 80th birthday party for my mother-in-law’s husband and what a crowd! Got caught up on the local and family news. The shore captain and the captain wannabe are still trying to put the boat back together so they arrived for a few minutes in their smelly work clothes. I was tempted to pretend I didn’t know them but as I made my way over to them I heard the boy saying to his grandmother “nanny I know I’m overdressed for the occasion but I’m here” and his father saying, “what do you mean? I took my coveralls off” When I told them it was good of them to come anyway, the boy says “yeah, well the drill was charging we couldn’t do anything else for ½ hour anyway”

I managed to get my errands run after all the partying so we’re stocked up on groceries, as there is some really nasty weather heading this way for the next couple of days. Will be just the environment I need to concentrate on my research – or so I keep telling myself.

To laugh often and much: To win the respect of intelligent people and the affection of children, to earn the appreciation of honest critics and endure the betrayal of false friends; to appreciate beauty, to find the best in others, to leave the world a bit better whether by a healthy child, a garden patch, or a redeemed social condition; to know even one life has breathed easier because you lived. This is to have succeeded. - Ralph Waldo Emerson