Monday, March 2, 2009

Lion weather

Another day, another ice storm. If March is in like a lion, I'll certainly be looking for the lamb on the exit. Oh wait, never mind I'll be in the caribbean then and I sure won't be thinking of that!

Today, I made it over half way to the district facility on very ice encrusted roads which caused the drive to be double the time to begin with only to find out that the orientation session I was to present at was cancelled. And apparently cancelled since at least Wednesday by some reports, so not a great start to the day. It was 10:30 a.m. before I made it in to work after the circuitous route, never mind, closer to 4 p.m.

It was really pouring after work so I dropped a coworker off at her house and then noticed the engine light on so that necessitated a trip to the garage. They tell me it was a sensor saying the evap fill needed replacing - apparently this is the pipe to the gas cap - but it could wait a bit. They reset the sensor, said it would come back on and I'll have to head back in later in the week. The mechanic casually mentioned the life partner had an appointment to have his truck serviced tomorrow and had told them I'd bring it in. Nice to know.

The Captain continues to do well in hospital and is hopeful he'll be heading in the direction of home (or at least our local hospital) by the first of next week. They're planning on getting him up a bit in the next few days and he continues to improve. His Dad passed away this morning at the nursing home where he was living and although he was suffering and it's a blessing he's at peace, it's tough timing. I stopped for a visit on my way home after work and his mother says they'll plan a memorial in a few months when things are settled and the boys can be there with the Capt. on his feet and his brother home from Brazil where he works on oil rigs. They've sure had a rough patch in that family lately.

I dropped by the post office - this is how folks on rural routes who have had their mailboxes killed collect their mail - and found a letter from the western daughter with the BEST part of my day. Can you believe that she mailed me a baggie of Lady Hannah tea???? I am so glad they don't have tea sniffing dogs at Canada Post. How do you suppose she knew that was what I needed, especially today?

I must sign off as I have just had to intervene as there was an ambush (Stanley) of Keely (retaliation) in the mud room. My nerves are shot.