Wednesday, March 11, 2009

The netbook has landed

Well as you see from the photo on the right, Gary has now become computer literate. I was attempting to show the scale of my new Dell netbook and thought a 20 lb. cat next to a 2.3 lb mini laptop would show you show compact it is. Of course mister had been checking it out until...I brought the camera out when he promptly got down so I was forced to put kitty treats next to it. But you get the idea. The netbook is just the cat's meow. It fits in the new purse/backpack I got at Frenchy's for the trip, handles my wireless mouse just fine, looks sturdy enough to take the traveling it's going to do and is cute besides. What's not to like? I've just loaded Microsoft Office so I can run my Powerpoints - what is not to like? The two men in my house are dancing back and forth from one foot to another to get the laptop wiped so it can be installed on the boat for the 3D navigational program. So I have my marching orders.

This has been a busy week as I attempt to get my presentations together, and I estimate that I'm about 1/2 way there on both - not too bad as there are nine more sleeps until we leave. I found a pair of city shorts and a lacy top for formal night on my home from a CISM session (this stands for Critical Incident Stress Management) and for once it wasn't connected to me or my family! So, I'm gradually gaining however, I'm covering for both team members in both programs in the district facility all next week, still have to organize the house and critters, get things together, pack and of course get the life partner in gear. He did run the clippers over his face so does not look quite so much like mountain man and this is usually a sign that he is planning to get the twice yearly haircut - good thing as I told him I was going to braid the bottom and leave the thinning top if he didn't.

The Capt has spent an extra week in hospital in the city with a few setbacks but the wannabe Capt was down to visit him today and apparently the discharge is planned for Friday. So the tertiary center has finally stepped up to the plate with the discharge planning and it 'sounds' like services and equipment are all in place for his arrival on Friday afternoon. I have visions of his grin not fitting in the ambulance as he exits the QEII. We will feel better having him settled before we head off on vacation.

We had a lovely email from daughter # 1 outlining her plans to continue her education to complete her BBA. Yes! She will of course ace this as she does anything she attempts. The pieces will fall into place as she works out the details I'm sure. Also received a text message from daughter # 3 who had a phone interview for Red Deer summer employment and is really hoping to head out there and spend time with her big sister - would be a good situation for both of them. The prodigal son had called daughter # 2 when in the city today for the hospital visit but wasn't able to connect so they headed off to supper and then a rotten drive home in snow/slush. Will spring ever come?

If you haven't already done so you MUST read Outliers by Malcolm Gladwell. There is a reason that it remains on the best seller list. It is a very entertaining, fast read and not to be missed. Much better than his previous Tipping Point and Blink which were both great. Well, I must move along as it's only Wednesday but feels as if the week has had double days. Later.