Thursday, January 28, 2010

Nurses eat their young

Well, an update as I am thinking of getting myself ready for work tonight after a not too strenuous day - have to pace yourself with the housework especially if you're planning on pulling an over nighter. I have however baked a loaf of brown bread, a chocolate potato cake and put beef and broccoli in my new slow cooker. I was afraid to leave it unsupervised for it's debut. I'm pretty tickled with the digital timer and keep warm feature, we'll see if the recipe brings such joy.

Have completed two days orientation in the Emergency Department and the first was very busy, interesting but went rather smoothly with two experienced co-workers. Yesterday however was I am sure a test of my patience and self esteem. I was partnered with a perfectionist (who I reminded myself frequently during the day I had been kind to when she came as a new grad ten years my junior). The manic tendencies I can ignore for the most part - barking out directions or answering "I've already done that" to any task you could name, but when it comes to hovering as I attempt to get myself up to speed clinically ex. starting IVs this is the sort of individual who has trouble not grabbing your hand to complete the task. As you might guess, this is not conducive to success, although I've been slowly getting my touch back. Not this time of course and when I stated "I guess I've lost my confidence" she loudly proclaimed "I guess you have" and promptly inserted the IV. When I went to the office to document she stated "I've already done that" which I expected, but when I picked up the chart she had written "failed IV attempt by (my name) RN" and some additional notes which become a part of the permanent record. Even the other nurse working with us (not known for being overly emotional or protective) said "there's no need of that!" when she saw the note. My only wish is that I should live long enough to see this individual be away from the clinical area for 15 years and make an attempt to update. The skills will come and I'm making pretty good progress considering all the changes - communication or people skills are not as easily learned so I feel better equipped than my 'mentor' in that department. If we wonder why we have such turnover in nursing perhaps the answers are closer than we think. Good thing I'm too crusty to be eaten - that's why nurses are credited with eating the young ones only.

To add to the negative energy of my day the garage discovered (and repaired) the clunking noise in my car for $309 as it was the links to the sway bar and numerous other problems that occur in 2004 vehicles, and of course it could always be more serious read expensive. They were kind enough to drop the car back to me in the parking lot so I was able to beat a retreat home in good time.

One of the more positive aspects of my day yesterday was that I saw three (count em) three of 'my' babies from the days when I was a Public Health nurse. they are all 3 - 4 years old now. That was a good time in my career for sure. How could working with mothers and babies not be fun?

Had a chat with daughter # 1 today and we were reviewing the shopping list for Cuba as she is traveling vicariously through her parents this year. She is planning to send some funds to her Cuban parents and we were discussing the gifts. She was advising that certain types of shampoo work better for the curly Cuban coiffure aka duro (hard) hair as they call it so that brought a smile. As did the thought of the Cuban sun when I put my hood up against the wind while walking the dog this afternoon. Ah.....two weeks from today...yes!