Sunday, January 24, 2010

Whaddayathinkofthat Dept of Highways?

Well as you can see by the spanking new mailbox AND snow shield on the left...we are prepared for the next Dept. of Highways plow visit. Speaking of spanking, I'd like to lay one on either of the drivers if this happens again - no comfort that we were one of about six local unfortunates last storm. The shore captain's theory is that the snow will strike the shield and the pivot (accomplished by the metal arm and bolt/nut slightly tightened) will allow the box to turn in and not be torn off into the ditch. We shall see. As the prodigal son stated "wow, John at the machine shop must've shook his head when you came with that idea eh?" but of course in these slow times, a welding job is a welding job and not to be commented upon, just billed for. The installation is still low enough that the rural route mail driver can get all the bills in from his car. I had picked up the previous weeks offerings at the post office when I took a run into town yesterday and I can tell you that it's a good thing the property assessment cap is still in place or we'd be tax paupers if not!

It's been a good weekend off so far (aren't they all?) as I slept until afternoon on Friday after the LN, got up to a cold but sunny day and walked the dog. Made scrambled eggs with lobsters on buns for supper with perogies - it doesn't get much better than that - then headed out to see Sherlock Holmes at our local 'vintage' theatre. This experience always reminds us how we began our relationship over three decades ago with teenage movie dates in the Goudey Theatre. Good times, good times. This version of Sherlock Holmes wasn't bad...looking at Robert Downey Jr. and Jude Law really couldn't be could it?

Yesterday I headed in to run errands and hit the local sporting goods store for the annual 50% sale on footwear, picking up three pairs of sneakers for Cuban friends. Hard to find brand names for $40 so a start on my list. On to Frenchy's to add sets of sheets, t-shirts, socks, new basket for the cat toys and the ever necessary (if you have tiled counter tops) selection of mugs. A stop at the drugstore to pick up sunscreen, some requested vitamins and other travel necessities. Now I ask you - is there a more pleasant task than that on a cold January day? I don't think so. Over to Sobeys for $250 worth of groceries to drag in the house and put away.

Today dawned a cold but sunny Sunday which as you can see on the right Gary was enjoying to the fullest. In the quiet there were some very thin superficial sheets of ice floating on the top of the harbour with sea ducks interspersed chatting to each other, making for interesting feline viewing without having to sit in the snow to do it. Lobster benedict for brunch and dealing with the 'fixing the pump by the shore captain' episode (and no I don't want to talk about the flood in the mud room but the pump is working well) have been how I've spent today so far. I've decided that I like the quote of the day from yesterday:

Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. Floyd Dell

Speaking of the days when I'll be more free...my proposed partner in crime for doing disaster relief courses and missions has forwarded info from the Canadian Red Cross, who we both teach first aid/CPR for. In the requirements for aid workers list is the need to have written and oral fluency in both English and French. Since I don't think it counts to have a daughter that is, I shall likely have to ask to have some of my other (nursing) qualifications exchanged for linguistic abilities or look to another agency. Mr. Harris NOW I'm sorry I didn't work harder on my grade 12 French verbs.

Taking small pleasures means that I'm off to walk the dog while the non-tropical sun is still shining. Thinking of a travel partner who has headed west today to deal with two elderly parents facing major health challenges, such is the life of the sandwich generation.