Thursday, September 23, 2010

Catching up on days off

Days off are good times to catch up on the blogging if.....I wasn't keeping such a busy schedule.

I slept until noon after my night shift, walked the dog, organized things for the union meeting BBQ, headed into town and picked up groceries, a framed photo as a gift for the bridal shower being included with the soiree, decorations, pink champagne and a cake. I consider my tax dollars as having been poorly used when I had to write down how to spell congratulations for the top of the cake and the teenager working in the bakery department of Sobey's STILL made a mistake which had been corrected when I returned to find it sitting on the counter - she likely didn't dare face me! The cottages are beautiful and we had a productive and very enjoyable evening with over a dozen members attending and the soon to be married member was tickled with the surprise. The remainder of the gang left and I stayed overnight as the cottage had been reserved so wouldn't want to waste it. I didn't climb into the double whirlpool tub as I wasn't sure I'd be able to get out in my exhausted state but I enjoyed the neck warmer after I put it in the microwave for a few minutes and read my book. Ahhhh.

When I awoke in the morning I thought I'd been transported to vacation before I remembered it was just a day off. I packed up the remaining stuff and headed off to meet a lady in the parking lot of Tim Horton's to give her the computer monitor which I'd advertised on the Freecycle. If you haven't heard about Freecycle it's a worldwide organization where folks post what they have to give away or items they need. Sure made me feel better to think that someone would be able to use it as opposed to recycling it for parts. This trip to town also gave me the opportunity to visit with a former co-worker, get caught up on the news and treated to lunch at The Old World Cafe and Deli - here's a review which I happen to agree with on Yelp:

http://www.yelp.ca/biz/old-world-bakery-and-deli-yarmouth

On the way home I stopped at the local Home Hardware/The Source where I'd purchased the underwater camera in June. The battery doesn't hold a charge for long and I was only able to take 67 photos with it after charging the battery - Fuji tech support told me that I should be able to take approximately 165 frames with a charge. I was looking to have them print me a receipt (since although I am a pack rat who keeps everything I've lost the receipt) so I could return the camera, charger and battery to Fuji as they had instructed. I was more than pleasantly surprised I was ecstatic when the clerk simply opened the case and gave me a brand new camera and battery as there is a two year warranty on Fujifilm products. Wow! I've charged it up and am enjoying it fully but will really need to test it on vacation to see if I can do 165 frames on a charge. I stopped on the way to take some photos of the home where the friends we will be visiting in Saskatoon used to live in the 70s. Enjoyed supper with good friends on Wednesday evening and not only was it a great meal, fine company and conversation....it turns out that I missed a call from work looking for me to work today - what a shame that I wasn't here to answer the phone. Will be nice to not have to worry about the begging for the month of October.

Speaking of all things vacation....I found a good deal on Hotwire for accommodations in Red Deer and so we are making progress towards our western trip. I printed off the tickets, dug out the suitcases, stacked up my jeans and socks (I am still wearing capris and sandals here in balmy NS) in anticipation of packing and reordered my winter boots from Sears as the first ones did NOT look like their catalogue photo. Just need to download some e-books from the library on Monday now.

Today was a beautiful, balmy day to equal any of the summer. I hung a clothesline full of laundry, read my book on the deck and generally enjoyed myself - in between obligations such as appointments which must be fulfilled on days off.... Until it was time to head over and scrapbook that is. I managed to craft a wedding card and put together a few pages in my travel album. Planning to get some scrapping off before I head back to work of vacation as well.

Tomorrow is another day of errands including a staff meeting and preparation for the baby daughter's visit this weekend while I head back to work. This will also be the reintroduction of Stanley to the household - sure hope the other felines remember him fondly.

Sent off this photo to daughter # 1 as she had requested it to compare with a snap of some modern day goats she had visited on this summer's travels. Ah, good times, good times at Ross Farm Museum. Hopefully she wasn't as distracted by them this time around. When we camped we took an au pair to help out, it's amazing what some teenagers will do to have a vacation. Hasta.