Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Westward ho

Friday was another errand filled day which included a trip to the lawyers to sign the will (which turned out NOT to have been done correctly) at a cost of $345 for the two copies. A run to Frenchy's where I scored some good finds as I waited for the 1 p.m. staff meeting which I learned had been rescheduled to 2 p.m. unbeknownst to me.

I headed back out for provisions for the boy who will be feeding the animals and watering the plants - didn't want to take a chance on him pining away and not be able to fulfill his household obligations. And of course I had to pick up the fixins for casserole as the baby daughter was headed home for the weekend. This turned out to be home at 1 a.m. on Saturday morning while I left at 6 a.m. for a LD, supper and a short visit while she packed up furniture for her new apartment - yes she found someone to assume the lease and is on her own in an (albeit slightly more expensive) one bedroom apartment - then off to a dance for the evening and staying in town. She did appear (significantly worse for the wear) at the door to the triage office on Sunday morning on her way back. Stanley did not make it back to stay with us as he has again escaped from his apartment and although there have been multiple Stanley sightings in the area he has not answered and continues to lurk in the woods near his former apartment. So, the baby daughter decided to come home for the planned visit and her boyfriend will have to bring Stanley home to us when he's located at a later time.

The staff meeting was not an experience I'm planning to repeat in the near future as it was frustrating without resolution. Retired people don't have to have staff meetings I keep telling myself as I cut short my attendance at 3:30

Sunday was a hectic work day with 15 minutes to myself at 3 p.m. standing in for a lunchbreak. I used the time to book a rental car for the western trip. I rewarded myself in the evening by watching the movie The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo which was long and fairly true to the book, although a lot was left out. I think it helped to have read the book first as it's a complex story. I have made my way through the first two Steig Larsson novels and am taking The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest with me in hardcover - which should prove what a good read it is that I'm breaking my 'only paperbacks' or in this years case e-books only rule.

Monday was a day to sleep in, bake an apple pie (had to use up those apples in the fridge) and invited the summer neighbours over for tea and a piece of pie. Off to work a LN and the gang surprised me with a birthday donair pizza, snacks, cake one of them baked and ice cream. Had lovely gifts to boot of candles and a Hallowe'en sign. Ahhhhh - nurses know how to party. Slept like a log all day, not everyone gets to do that on their celebratory day, and woke up to phone calls from my sister and two daughters (both were excited to be seeing us soon) before heading off to another night shift.

So, after a short nap when I get home there is a very long list of tasks on the to-do list which begin with packing. Supposedly the shore captain was getting out the luggage and putting his stuff together last evening. We are needing to leave in time to stop at the lawyers to (again) sign the wills before heading to the city to overnight with the teacher daughter before catching the plane westward in the morning. Hopefully a few moments along the way to catch you up on our travels in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Northwest Territories. To be continued.