Wednesday, September 8, 2010

The Kindle has Landed

My work schedule has been messed with so that's my excuse for not getting much accomplished. The real problem however, is that my new Kindle arrived in my mailbox this afternoon and is charging as I type.

To catch up, as many likely know by now...Hurricane Earl was a bust according to it's publicity build up but at least the storm cleared the humidity we had been suffering. We all managed to make it home safely from night shift as the wind and rain were just getting serious and I caught a short nap before the shore captain (having given up on Earl patrol) came home loudly. Unfortunately the lack of weather meant the Fire Dept. bingo wasn't canceled and I fulfilled my community obligations there by selling bingo books and being a floorwalker in the evening. Not an easy task when you consider my math phobia to begin with. Sunday was spent readying for a BBQ where we entertained a few friends for supper - great evening.

Monday was a lovely day where I had to return to work for a night shift and I had one of those nurse intuition spells in the afternoon where I had a "bad feeling about what was going to happen" and the shift turned out to be a real doozy just to prove it! Napped on Tuesday and then dragged my carcass to scrapbooking. I was quite sleep deprived but haven't been able to make any of the sessions lately so kicked myself in the butt and headed out. Did a bit on an album from the first Maritimes/New England cruise I lectured on and it took me most of the evening to remember what I was working on as it'd been so long since I picked it up. Think I have it sorted out now and hopefully will connect with some of the scrapping sessions. I stayed on to pick up groceries but only dragged in the perishables from the car before I called it a night. Today has so far been spent in a bit (a very little bit) of housework, walking the dog before the showers began, a run to town to have the will revised as life changes, monitoring the life partner to register the car - since he insists on having it registered in his name and doesn't deal with the small details on time such as government rules and I am the one who will be stopped if not, a sandwich and tea at the Tim Hortons drivethru and home to find.....the Kindle in my mailbox. Yeehaw!

Agreed to examine the head of young fellow (who obviously needs his head examined when you hear the description of the event) who required suture removal. Apparently he was on the back of a pickup truck the other weekend and fell off and thus received approximately 40 stitches in the shape of a Y on the back of his head, major bruises and some road rash. Clearly ETOH was involved and he's lucky he wasn't one of those examples on 10,000 ways to die! His excuse was that this was his sober drive home and there was no room in the cab of the truck. Hmmm. I made no Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman promises - just that I would "have a look at it" and if it was too big a job to get those stitches out he could make his way in to ED or the Dr. office but it went very smoothly as the ED Doc had put in thick sutures which reminded one of fishing line so it was a short visit not most of the afternoon as I feared. He was very brave (of course you'd have to be what choice did he have?) and the procedure went smoothly.

I'm including a photo of the pansy which the oldest daughter brought with her when she came for the wedding. It's the cutest thing where the seeds are inside and you just add water. Now just waiting for it to bloom. Wouldn't her grandmother be tickled with this concept eh? It would meet with the repurposing, craftiness and pansies she was so fond of.

And yes, Stanley had gone missing from the newly moved to apartment of the youngest daughter but returned after six days in a rather haggard state. I should say so - he is not an outdoor kitty. The roommates are not particularly responsible (apparently one of them has moved in a snake and both are refusing to leave the windows without screens closed) so the plan is that Stanley will be returned here in a couple of weeks to remain with us until a different living arrangement is organized - likely to be another year as that is the term of the lease but at least he'll be safe.

Just checked on the status of the Kindle it is fully charged. Life is good.