Wednesday, August 16, 2017

Photographic evidence

beluga tail
warmer day at the shore
health centre street
determined daisies








As promised, and since the internet appears to working a bit better today.....a continuation of the weekend update...with photos above of my sunny walk on what was actually the last fine day here. It's been drizzly, windy, cool and grey with even the faint whiff of smoke in the air from the forest fires in northern BC, Yukon making their way through the atmosphere. I swear that if I looked out and saw snowflakes I wouldn't be surprised. The flights on Monday and Tuesday both made it in/out as the ceiling was high enough for a couple of hours to accommodate that. This allowed for movement of supplies, medications, patients to appointments and various tradespersons doing tasks such as checking sprinkler systems and fire alarms. 

Tonight's excitement is a scheduled Nutrition North class at the community centre involving avocados and fish. We're making a plan B of oysters, crackers and cheese when we come back if the portions are limited. Apparently a previous demo involved the purchase of five steaks, inviting of the entire community (pop approx 100) and quite the uprising when the first five arrivals were served and the rest got to pound sand. Memo to self, do not ask the demonstrator to cater for us. Not to mention the lack of attention to detail evidenced by a kerfuffle of this week following a demo involving cereal and milk by the same demonstrator. Breathless mother, arms flailing, bursts through the door with a slightly embarrassed teenaged daughter proclaiming "she just drank outdated milk from August 4th and now she's vomiting and has diarrhea". Upon questioning the daughter, vomiting was denied but slight nausea acknowledged as "possible" and diarrhea was changed to "can't poop" so upon questioning of previous bowel movement (because that is what nurses ask) it was "this morning" clearly not a concern. Soft abdomen, present bowel sounds and a well looking youngster. Questioning as to a feeling of unwellness?....well, not really. So a quick exit with some gravol tabs before anyone got ideas of any other health crises. I didn't ask (although I wanted to) if sour cream or yogurt had ever been ingested. And the fact that I ate July 4th expiry date greek yogurt this week without ill effects wasn't lost on me.

It's been a sedate week and I've managed (with the fine tutelage of my coworker) to conquer the skill of downloading free ebooks onto the computer and transferring them to my Kindle (mobi) and Kobo app on my phone (ePub) thus avoiding the use (and paying for) of data. Indulged in a dozen titles including two -  Girl Gone Greek and Greek Gods & Goddesses as I'm getting in the Grecian mode through my reading list. Have completed a couple of older titles including Travels with Epicurus and Reflections on a Marine Venus. Although I must confess that Kathy Reich's newest novel Two Days (with a new protagonist) was the highlight of my acquisitions and might jump the Greek research queue. 

I did manage to get my photobook ordered with the assistance of a live chat - clearing the history in Firefox was the trick, and it's winging it's way home to the travel partner. I've started another pattern for caps to the mission - just because you live on the street, you should still have a choice in hats. 

Pleased to report that the relocating daughter arrived safely after a straight forward road trip to her new city of residence and is getting settled in. Monday will begin a new work chapter. 

Pleased also  to report that my ears are much improved with the antibiotics and I'm not being a 'boo yah baby' about them as my coworker states - nurses are such empathetic souls to their buddies. We're off to eat our oysters, triscuits and cheese now as we're afraid to arrive hangry at the food demo. That wouldn't look good on our file if someone calls management in Inuvik on us for community misbehaviour. Later.