Sunday, August 13, 2017

Sealskin slipper weather

Although the weather forecast says it's 11c today...I'm not feeling it. There's a gusty northeast wind of  supposedly 30km but I'm not buying that either as the wind is whistling through the window casings, sounding as it does in winter months. I had plans of a walk but...venturing out on the steps cured me of that. Mind you, a trio of local school aged girls in summer jackets / without hats are creating some kind of a structure outside my window with rocks and discarded wood while acting as if it's positively balmy, even though they have to lean at the waist into the wind to make forward progress. When I asked the roommate if there was a route 'in the lee' she said "everything is exposed here except the inside of buildings" and went back to the couch and her e-book. It's the kind of a day that makes you want to take advantage of the Halifax to Casablanca, Morocco $756 (all fees included) return airfare ad which made its way to my inbox. My roommate has turned on the oven and opened the door (makes one recall sitting with feet in wool socks on the kemac oven door after skating) to warm the apartment and as much as it makes me cringe to think of the bunker C the community generator is drinking to produce that electricity...it has made our space cozy. I have put on my sealskin slippers and made a cup of tea so am in a better mood. I did take a stroll yesterday along the shore and under the edge of the cliff it was warm enough in the sunshine to remove my hat and gloves. Ahhh. I would include some photos but...the internet is not cooperating this evening.

I have spent the weekend creating a photobook (receiving the email my voucher was expiring September 1 was the motivation I required) composed of our Curacao trip photos only to find that when I attempt to 'check out' the book I am unable to use the voucher. And of course since it's the weekend there is no livechat feature available and the promise to respond to my email within three to five business days did not improve my mood. Grrr. Clearly a first world problem, but an annoying one. The positive point is that the book is finished / waiting for printing and it was a lovely trip down memory lane to review those photos.

There were some hits and misses this past week - which was only four days, how will we manage a full workweek? Took Wednesday morning off as sick time (might as well since it's going to disappear come September 12) and made an upside down apple pie cheesecake for the Dr visit but the flights were cancelled all week due to fog, rain and wind - last one Monday, next one Friday - so we ate all the good stuff and had a quiet work week. My roommate and I joined the line at the COOP seeking produce and dairy products when the freight flight finally made it in. A community member roared across the field full throttle on his 4wheeler (no helmet and standing up) towards the steps as we entered the store. He chuckled and said "did you ladies think I was going to come up the stairs after you?" and I said "no, we were thinking you don't need that referral to the orthopedic surgeon you've been asking for!" he just chuckled and followed us in. I inquired (but did not purchase) the bag of cherries offered for $20, now grapes...maybe.

We had electricians in for over a week (due to the logistics of flight delays) to change a panel and they were slightly bushed by the second week. One of them even asked if we had any books to read! I offered up the shore captain's Clint Eastwood DVD collection and they fell upon the stack with huge grins. I also included some cast off books on the shelf in the laundry room from a former occupant including a Ken Follett and David Baldacci novel. Might have saved their sanity until they were finally whisked away on a Friday evening charter flight. My ears have continued to bother me and I've felt pretty punk so I had my coworker look in them and she diagnosed an otitis media as in....there's some weird yellow stuff behind your eardrums but they're not perforated. So, have started myself on antibiotics and feeling better already. Our itinerary for a holiday trip was changed by WestJet and when I called to see if anything could be done about the overnight in Toronto added on to the trip out and the six hour layover in Pearson on the return...the rep was very helpful and gave us a hotel voucher for the overnight, shortened the return layover to three hours and emailed along the documents while we were still on the line. Definition of good customer service.  I've finished up some hats (one for myself to match my jacket due to the change in weather), a headband for the granddaughter and researched some patterns and recipes - kidney bean dip is my new favourite, just sayin.

The oldest daughter is enroute to a new beginning as she's accepted a position in Ottawa and so is relocating. A stop along the way to see her niece (and the parents) in the city and then the road trip begins in earnest. Central Canada is closer than Alberta to visit and I won't be flying through Edmonton as frequently so this is a better option for sure. She's found a cozy, fully stocked, conveniently located apartment with a Spanish speaking landlord. The new adventure in a slightly different area of her industry requires learning some new skills and of course leaving the maritimes...for now. A plus for the location is the proximity to our national capital and thus the Embassy as this will hopefully assist the application process for emigration of our newest son in law. Already talking of a March Break visit with the grandchildren...I haven't been in Ottawa for over 40 years and so the planning begins...

Wasn't able to view the Perseid meteor shower up here because although the weather report states sunset is midnight and sunrise is 4am it's actually just kind of dusky in those four hours so...no comets were seen. Into the third week of the rotation as of tomorrow. Friday was payday and the way I look at it is that if the deposit exceeds the online shopping credit card bill...all is good.