Saturday, August 19, 2017

Travelling lab boxes

As I have just met the COOP staff who picked up the lab box, I shall update. The blood samples in question were actually drawn on Thursday morning, in anticipation of the scheduled flight. We're talking someone who is NOT a fan of venipuncture (although who except masochists really are?) dropping in for something else and being persuaded to be poked - and the successful site was the back of the hand here folks, not an easy stick so the nurses as well as the patient are determined to not repeat this performance. A freight flight landed on Thursday morning, the sched got pushed ahead to only depart Inuvik at 4 pm, the forecast was poor by then (of course) so cancelled. By....Friday they overflew and left - TWICE! Apparently there was a BIG drama at the airport (something to do with passengers yelling/phoning etc etc) after the first pass and...the flight returned (not sure if the drama and return were connected), only to approach as thick fog had moved in, so they flew over again and returned to Inuvik. This meant the COOP staff picked up, then returned, picked up and returned the lab box. About half an hour ago, I heard a plane and after conferring with my coworker/NIC as in "boss the plane, the plane!" asking if I should call the COOP for pickup she suggested "just take it up to the airport". So, I grabbed the box from the fridge, her jacket and the keys, regretting my sandals (the heat is stuck on high in the health centre this weekend but it's cool outside) and rushed up the hill to find....a deserted and darkened airport with stacks of luggage in the corner and no plane. I phoned the COOP and a confused conversation followed with the clerk who ignored my mom/nurse voice:

me: is there a plane today?
she: yup, it left at 12 oclock
me: you mean it just left, that's what I heard?
she: um no, there was a charter
me: so there's going to be a sched today?
she: yeah, they're leaving Inuvik at 12 oclock
me: you ARE going to come pick up the lab box right?
she: um...oh yeah

And miracles of miracles, they actually did come to the door for the box. Now...would they return with it was the question? The visibility is listed on the weather report as 24 km so I mused that there best not be any flyover shenanigans today! I am happy to report the traveling lab box has NOT returned. Whew.

I haven't been getting out walking as much as I'd like because of the weather - with reduced visibility comes the opportunity for stealth predator visits such as polar bears and wolves. I'm not really concerned but my coworker says she doesn't want to work alone if I'm devoured (nurses are so empathetic) so she discourages my solo wandering. The temperatures have been about 8 to 10c with lots of drizzle, fog and rain which (with the Greek novel I'm reading) certainly make one look forward to cyclades sunshine, clear blue skies and turquoise waters. 

We extended our social life this week by attending a Nutrition North cooking class on Wednesday evening. We get brownie points on the monthly report for community events, the ingredients were included and so we trotted down the hill to the community centre.  There was avocado salad and fish with curry and tomato sauce which were both great, would try that again.  In fact, will try it with the arctic cod we
arctic cod
were gifted this week. A phone call with the message "I left some fish on your doorstep" was a bit understated as you can see here on the left. When the shore captain asked who was going to filet them for us (a skill I haven't had to learn with him around) I explained that the janitor said "I'll go get my ulu and be right back" and she was pleased to take some for her efforts. We graciously refused the liver and other innards she described as special treats as in "we're maritimers, the only way we eat cod liver is in capsules, no thanks. 

A local teenager was chosen to attend camp this month at RCMP depot in Regina, Saskatchewan for first nation youth interested in policing, and was telling me what a great time she'd had as we were comparing our trips there. She's active in the Canadian Junior Rangers, mature and a smart cookie - would be an excellent Inuit RCMP cadet a couple of years from now and it's always good for young folks to have goals. When she shared with other participants that it was the first time she'd visited a mall they said "where do you live anyway?" but she also mentioned being surprised when approached by two other girls who asked "are you Inuit?" and when she answered in the affirmative, one says to the other "see I told you". As I explained to her, it would be unusual that someone from other areas of Canada would have seen an Inuk, I certainly hadn't before working in Labrador.

The shore captain has been busy being a contractor as he and the carpenter son-in-law replaced the front steps for the teacher daughter and family. It looks great and is MUCH safer than the previous slippery tiles. Think he needed a break from stripping the paint off the deck which has become a long term project this summer. He's thrown himself full tilt into retirement as he's done with every other life stage and so has multiple projects on the go while managing his greenhouse and hopefully finding time for the pool, although the weather isn't cooperating much for that. Not sure if the metal storage building will be completed before fall or not.

The magic hat (which allows my daughter to speak English to explain concepts in class) has been posted, the question will be its arrival for the first day of school. I've done a cute headband for the granddaughter who (if video evidence is any guide - seeing her standing from a squat position holding up a bag of sweet potatoes) will be walking very soon. I've started working with some gifted yarn on a slouchy hat pattern which is very quick and so a good choice for gifting to street people missions. Mind you, as one of my millennial offspring commented they're "on trend" apparently. With the downloading of ebooks (including the latest John Grisham novel) from a source which my coworker describes as 'not entirely honest, but then again what is?' I am enjoying the sedate environment and loading up the list for travel.

strawberry cream cheese french toast
In closing, as the cream cheese/strawberry stuffed french toast from brunch is wearing off, I am going to source some bean dip for a snack. A big shout out to the electrician daughter who is settled into her new digs, exploring the capital and beginning a new position. I am jealous of her access to a variety of ethnic foods, Ikea and all that urban living offers...hats off to my teacher daughter who is heading back to a room full of french immersion grade primaries after a year off (pleased that our children don't have 12 week maternity leaves as we were subjected to) and the nurse daughter who continues to tough it out in healthcare in NS (should be a medal for that) pretending to feel normal after working the dark hours....and what is this dark at night stuff? We're just having some dusky hours from midnight to 5am here.