Monday, March 10, 2008

Positive Day

Today was a day of positives...I received a message from the videographer saying my audition DVD is ready for pick up - yeehaw - that will be the best part of the trip to the district facility on Thursday. And I also received a call from a friend saying she'd managed to arrange a sale of the Cuban cigars for me. So my $40 investment will net $200 profit. The life partner hasn't been informed of this development until I have the money in my hand. This is in part because the purchaser is on the opposing side of a fishery issue, doesn't mean he can't buy cigars though does it? Not to mention that I found bulb shoots in the flower bed if you can believe it, boy are they brave! I realize that it's the middle of March but it is also snowing and -5c today too!

Today when I was taking my self imposed lunch break and reading the newspaper I found an article mentioning you can measure your 'burn rate' or how fast you go through money. Here's the link if you dare (and if you're not on dialup connection either):

http://www.burnrate.ca/

I was taking my lunch break from purging the old files in the office - today I was back in the 80s - and managed to toss five full recycling bags. I have made the commitment to the Site Manager that I will NOT move the antique materials from the person I replaced back into the office. And the move back is expected within the next two weeks. I hate moving office!!

As the man of the house has headed off to the city for meetings overnight to do with his industry I'm left to enjoy life on my own for the evening. This required a stop at the video rental store where I picked up Away From Her - excellent but tough to watch after Mom and Sicko - how can you not enjoy Michael Moore? Well, I guess some folks don't but I enjoy sarcasm. After a dog walk, supper was pancakes in front of the first movie and then Keely gets to stay in - it is a girl's night after all.

I was amazed by the following news story - on a number of levels. I'm not sure how four days qualifies as a vacation, why would a daughter panic if she didn't hear from you in that time, why would she be calling that often, and why would they have to make peace with her? Our daughters make fairly frequent contact (for which we are pleased) but hopefully would not phone the police if their father and I were spontaneous.


'Missing' couple surprise daughter, police on return from vacation

Mon Mar 10, 5:39 AM By The Associated Press

MELBOURNE, Australia - A Melbourne couple returning home from vacation today were shocked to discover police about to hold a news conference at their house about their suspicious disappearance. William and Heather Ostell's daughter, Angela, had not seen or heard from her parents since Thursday. She went to their house and discovered the front door unlocked, their car gone and their dog home alone. So she called the police and reported her parents missing.

Homicide detectives were holding a news conference at the Ostell's home to appeal for information when the couple drove up, shocked at the commotion. Heather Ostell, 58, told reporters that they had taken a "spur of the moment" holiday and had not been able to reach their daughter to tell her. They arranged for neighbours to take care of their pet dog, and left the door unlocked by accident, and said they regretted worrying their daughter. "I'll have to make my peace with her," Ostell said.