Friday, March 7, 2008

Potholder on Patrol

I am definitely not agreeing with this whole losing an hour this weekend thing but I am certainly pleased it is on the weekend so the old body can adjust to it. After the week just past I’m in need of R&R. The final straw as my day was ending was discovering that when the computer techs changed my system they took away one of my Cuban jazz CDs inside the old tower. Speaks of how hectic things have been for over two weeks that I just noticed it now but they promise to return it on their next trip. I was in need of uplifting music to purge the files of antique info from the former office occupant. I'm especially leery about the near employent future as I’m ramping up to provide coverage for the whole district in both of my job positions for the next two weeks.

I’m including a photo of a very scary item well…. actually it is to Gary. And we haven’t figured out why - we’re quite amazed as it’s the only thing we’ve ever seen him be frightened of since he came to live with us as a baby kitty. He’s not particularly nervous, as cats go; in fact he’s usually the brave one of the in-house feline trio. But last night the life partner thought it would be amusing to toss this potholder like a Frisbee at Gary, it landed beside him and when he looked at it he jumped about two feet straight up in the air, pupils dilated and then in the stalking mode. We’re not sure if it’s the blue center or what! The other two cats were a bit nervous after his reaction but conquered their fears within a few moments, esp. after the dog (trying to figure out what all the fuss was about) went to investigate – wasn’t food so she left shortly. This evening the fear factor was still in evidence although Gary has allowed himself to almost sniff the scary object. Thinking it will discourage him from nocturnal shenanigans I’ve elected to place the potholder on the kitchen bar. We’ll see.

I’ve finished Divisadero by Michael Ondaatje and I have to say that I was kind of disappointed in it for all the hype. I found it rather disjointed and hard to follow although it was certainly descriptive but I’ll read poetry if I want that. I finished it because a book has to be really terrible before I’ll really give up on it.

I was digging through collections of older digital photos to find some photos of the dog for the NS Duck Toller presentation, which will be coming up shortly at the library. The PowerPoint is coming together nicely and each one I do is getting a bit smoother. You get to a point where you have to say "good enough" and stop playing with it anyway.