Monday, March 3, 2008

WestJet and more

Since today was an ‘on the road day’ I made use of it and stopped at Canadian Tire for a cordless phone – it was amongst the list of fried, remember. The clerk told me that they lock up the phones and batteries and only leave one out for a sample that doesn’t work as people steal the batteries out of them and she had to walk me with the phone I chose to the checkout. What is the world coming to? I moved on to WalMart and used the gift card my #1 son had given me for Christmas to purchase a cordless mouse for my laptop. Now I’m all ready for my traveling road show.

I hadn’t turned off the cell phone because of all the turmoil back at work so while I was doing the orientation session as the newly hired employees were all looking at me, my cell phone played a Latin jazz tone which I answered it to hear my cruise travel partner of last spring says “hey girlfriend, you can run but you can’t hide” Ooops, so I quickly say “I’ll call you back in about an hour, hang tight”.

When I called her back I was so pleased and excited to hear that WestJet had accepted her as a flight attendant. She is headed out tomorrow for Calgary for a medical exam, interview etc. for just a few days and was tracking down her immunization records. Apparently they’ve been in contact since January so this is wonderful!! You go girl!

According to the news of the day Lord Conrad Black has headed into prison to begin his six and a half year term for white-collar fraud. He and his wife Barbara Amiel arrived in his Cadillac SUV and she left shortly after so he could begin the orientation process. So the universe is unfolding as it should.

Except for the fact that the $40 oven part ordered in from the appliance store finally arrived, was installed by the lumberjack only to find that….it wasn’t the cause of the oven not working – it is toast – literally. So now we are back to square one and needing a new oven. Well better than cleaning it I guess.

I spent this evening composing (another) letter to the Minister of Fisheries. Meaning another one in, as many weeks as in letter and to another Minister – I’ve lost track of how many politicians over the years have been the targets of my pen/computer. I have spent the past almost 20 years attempting to convince the ‘author’ of these documents that he should simply list the points down and I will compose the epistle then we will edit as in ‘bones to tear apart’ but…no, he can’t do that. He has to stand like Milburne Drysdale on the Beverly Hillbillies dictating to Miss Jane although I don’t remember Mr. D arguing with her over a point of grammar! This means he has to be torturously directed to what he means to say, a process, which is time consuming. No, he can’t possibly write down points, he might as well write the whole thing and then it wouldn’t be right anyway he tells me. When we grudgingly agree that we are saying what is intended or one of us loses patience the letter is ready to go. Sigh.

I am going to reward myself with scrapbooking tomorrow night - that's the only kind of project I want to undertake.