Monday, September 22, 2008

Cruise or nursing home?

  • Today the newspaper reported on the Queen Elizabeth’s last trip into Halifax and the Captain was quoted as saying that the service is so good they have an American lady who has lived with them for 10 yrs on the ship and she’ll now be moving to the Queen Victoria. Apparently, she and her husband cruised and when he passed away she continued to sail with Cunard because of the service and the crew had become her family. When the shore captain commented that the ‘old guy must’ve left some money’ I did the math for him versus long-term care (more expensive) and he made no further comment.

    I’ve decided to compile my travels - as in my research I found a page where a traveler documented his days at sea – which is how cruises are usually measured. As you can see, lots of room to add entries:

    Cruises Taken:

    Explorer of the Seas (Royal Caribbean International) 7 days
    Miami, Belize City, Belize; Costa Maya, Cozumel, Mexico; Georgetown Grand Cayman; Miami

    Grand Princess (Princess Cruise Line) 12 days
    Southampton, England; Stavanger, Geiranger, Tronheim, Honnisvag, Tromso, Flaam, Bergen, Norway; Southampton, England

    Cruises Booked:

    Sea Princess (Princess Cruise Line) 10 days
    Quebec City, Quebec; Charlottetown, PEI; Sydney, CB; Halifax, NS; Saint John, NB; Portland, Maine; Boston, Massachusetts; Newport, Rhode Island; New York City, New York

    Summary - - - - -- - - - - - -- - - -- -No. Cruises - - -- -Days @ Sea

    Princess Cruise Line - --- - - - - - - -- - - - 2- - - - - - - - 22 days
    Royal Caribbean Cruise Line- - - - - - - - 1- - - - -- --- - 7 days


    Number Cruises / Days @ Sea-- -- -3- - - - --- - -29 days

    So by the time I’ve returned from the upcoming cruise I’ll have a month of sea days in my memory bank.


    The above-mentioned traveler had some good cruise info links so I offer them here:

    http://www.cruisefools.org/

    http://www.cruisereviews.com/

    http://boards.cruisecritic.com/

    Thinking about cruising is much more fun than my gainful employment today. When the Director of the nursing home next door happened to spy me going through charts she asked, “when are you coming back to us?” And I said “don’t toy with me, I’m in a fragile state here with the way things are going” So that is a depressing enough overview of my situation.

    Anyway, off to do final battle with the fruit flies - they will not win - as I purchased RAID today (not a big fan of chemicals but even less fan of the flies) and a gross of flypaper. This is war!