Sunday, September 21, 2008

Invasion of the fruit flies

Well, it’s been a glorious last weekend of summer. The temperatures were up over many we had in July or August and it was with a sort of melancholy I said goodbye to the sun. I was doing my historical research for the presentations from the lounge chair so that was a good combination. I have the Powerpoints pretty much put together and am just fine tuning them now. Am hoping that the break for the western trip will make picking out the gaps to be filled easier.

I also spent the weekend battling fruit flies. Felt like the house was one large science experiment. Did some online (and my own) research and found that a piece of bread in a glass attracts the little devils big time and then you slap a lid over the glass and microwave them for 30 –45 seconds and they’re history. I have flypaper hanging everywhere, have cleaned the drains, emptied all the trashcans and still there are a few flying around. I’m hoping to have them down to a manageable level to leave the house empty for 10 days as they seemed to have taken up residence the last time we were traveling.

The last week at work has been really over the top - the usual pressure has been increased exponentially with the impending surveyors visit for Accreditation and it is a really crazy place to spend your day. So it is quite nice to be thinking that I'll only be working two weeks out of next month's five week total with that being one week in between the western visit and the cruise and the last week of the month. I can handle that - almost as good as being semi-retired.

The highlight of my week was having our reservation for a pre-theatre dinner confirmed at The Russian Tea Room on our night in New York. My travel partner was checking the place online at work and one of the Docs suggested "oh we should check the wine list" which apparently was quite extensive and on the back pages the prices per bottle went up in $100 increments - my friend had to be educated that the $12 - $14 for the wine meant by the GLASS when she commented that was a reasonable cost. Babes in the woods, country girls in New York - won't we will have fun!

By the time I get through the next three days of an Accreditation survey at work with one visit on site and a trip to the district facility, survive the Boil Water Advisory, which was called (of course) late on Friday afternoon and caused me some last minute scrambling and a late start on my weekend, and get myself together for the trip to the land of cowboys it will be a full week even if it’s only three days.

It was good to learn this week that daughter # 1 was offered a new job and it sounds like a good deal and a move up / that daughter # 2 is loving being a teacher assistant at the Montessori school she's working at part time and is really looking foward to her BEd classes starting in January/ that daughter # 3 is really getting into the second year of her Bachelor of Nursing program and getting it all together with all kinds of plans for her projects etc.

We were invited to supper at our summer neighbours place next door and had a wonderful meal with a good visit. It was fun to learn that one of the guest’s brother and sister-in-law are teaching digital photography and quilting respectively on around the world cruises. The summer folks are returning in order to Rawleigh, South Carolina, Vermont, Iowa City within the next week or so. Glad I’m not facing those kinds of road trips though.

And just so your brain is exercised – this info:
The longest word is English language ispneumonoultramiscroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis - an inflammatory lung disease caused by the inhalation of fine silica dust.

My brain is over exercised - that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.