Monday, September 8, 2008

Cruise speaking 101

Since I have the luxury of the house to myself (and the animals) for three whole days I am determined to make the most of it. This includes eating banana pancakes for supper with watermelon for dessert and spending the evening on the phone and computer catching up with friends and family. I was multitasking as well while I made supper for tomorrow as cruise-speaking 101 is on offer to the travel mate of last spring. And now as I type this update I’m looking out over a beautiful silver harbor (think Moonspinners) in a completely silent house. Heaven.

The girls night out to see Mama Mia was a complete success as it was total escapism. No matter what Pierce Brosnan still looks great for a man his age and for that matter, Meryl Streep sure doesn't appear as if she'd get the seniors discount herself. It was all around a great chick flick.

I spent the weekend thinking of my Cape Breton friend who is now a mother-in-law after her son's wedding in Tronna. Imagine everything went off flawlessly and can't wait to see some photographic evidence of same.

Also spent some time thinking of our summer neighbours who are camping in Cape Breton at present. With the rain and winds hoping they found some secure shelter until Hanna blew over. Just waiting for Ike now as he pummels the Caribbean. We are way over our usual moisture levels for this time of year.

The reason for the solitude is that the shore captain is in Portland for meetings (I think) as the last bulletin I had was a call from daughter # 2 who was attempting to find a place for him at the inn (the alternative is that she may have taken him in at her apt on Sunday p.m.) as he had not communicated well with the EA who had reserved the room in the city where he was meeting his travel mates on Monday a.m. With the 9 p.m. call they were driving around Dartmouth and he had checked where he 'thought' it was supposed to be. I supplied the phone number of the EA so he could sort it out and promptly put the situation out of my mind as this whole thing was of his own creation. I have a meeting in the city on Thursday and the plan 'was' to stay with him Wed. night although he had no idea when he'd get back and now this little glitch of where. Picky, picky I am eh?

Must crawl into bed with my research books. The opportunity to leave the light on after 9 p.m. is just too great to resist. I'm including a posting for a photography workshop for any locals who should be interested - she's a really good teacher but I won't be around to partake this time:

Hi All:

I am pleased to let you know that Brier Island Lodge has invited me to conduct a digital photography workshop on the weekend of September 26-28. It should be a beautiful time of the year to be on Brier Island.

If you are interested in a lovely weekend, some concentrated learning, and really developing a comfortable relationship with your digital camera, you might want to consider this opportunity.

Details of workshop content and prices are currently on their website at:

Click on 'Special Events' and scroll down to the September 26-28 section

http://www.brierisland.com/

Click on 'Special Events' and scroll down to the September 26-28 section. All shots accompanying the info are mine, shot on the island during recent visits. Feel free to contact me with questions; actual registration happens through the Lodge. (Sue's phone number is 902 742-6382 and her email is )

Please feel free to pass this email on to any friends who might be interested.
Sue