Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Scrapping but not

Nothing set things up right as quickly as having some friends over and although last evening was billed as a scrapbooking event in truth (and even the shore captain noticed when he ventured in at dark) that not much scrapping was done. Lots of looking at Norway photos, planning for future projects, knitting and generally catching up but scrapping was not the focus. This is not to say that the evening was unsuccessful, the chocolate cake turned out good, the company was great and I actually completed a page – which consisted of sticking two photos (of the Norwegian cruise participants) to a page. This is akin to going to an auction and having to come home with an object (no matter how small or cheap) to feel as if one has been successful in the hunting and gathering activity. But I digress….

Had a bit of a scare yesterday when the hourly news was carrying a story about students passing out, the remainder of the class being quarantined next door and the hazardous materials team being called in to…. the baby daughter’s university. When her father and I conferred via cell phone “have you heard anything?” “No” “do you think she’s alright?” “How would you know?” meaning she’s not big on calling unless there’s a fee due. When I finally reached her at about 4:30 p.m. she was very pleased and said “it’s good to know someone cares” Now I’m not sure who she thinks has been worrying about her the past almost 20 years and what significance she awards to the $8895 cheque I wrote to her institution of higher learning but at least she was alright and it appears her fellow students had fainted in the heat and humidity. Not to mention it was a Monday after a weekend early in the university year (meaning the social life is active) and no one is encouraging a student to eat breakfast so not that unexpected really.

Today was an absolutely glorious autumn day, one much too nice to be stuck indoors and for the retired or shift worker with a day off it must have been triumphant. For myself, it was torture. The highlight of my workday was when I managed to purchase a small food processor (an Oskar) from a colleague and she threw in a colander. She said and I quote “stuff takes up too much room in your house” Now that is a statement that is hard to argue with. I did manage to score a nice set of luggage from her last spring so always respond to her queries of “do you want to buy a …?”

I have had a rather pleasant after work/ return home session though as the shore captain is chasing boats so I have walked the dog, enjoyed the sun in the veranda with a glass of chardonnay, supper is in the oven. From where I sit all is well in the universe. Especially so as I forgot my cell phone at work, perhaps I should have a holder such as the one in the photo. I fear that those in many facets of my life would not even notice.