Monday, May 18, 2009

All good things must come to an end

As the three day weekend draws to a close I must say that I thoroughly enjoyed Write Away - the writers group - last evening and although it was a major rainstorm and a small group it gave me the impetus today to edit a piece I've been working on and polish up a story I did last night to include in the memoir collection which sounds so pretentious as it's just a few pages housed in a duotang, but allow me my small pleasures. As well, I've had all kinds of positive contact with offspring over the weekend.

Had a nice chat with the western daughter to find that there was a significant amount of snow in Alberta today. Apparently it's a bit of a tradition on the Victoria Day weekend - wouldn't want to break with the pattern of 5 out of the past 6 years it seems. She was able to enjoy her flight and get some aerial photos yesterday before the weather set in so that sure tops anything I could have done (but didn't) this weekend.

The girlfriend of the only son is in the process of purchasing a home in a community near the fish plant at fire sale price - what can you buy for $21,ooo? So, that may possibly mean there will be some roots put down. I guess if that happens I'll have to start paying attention to the sounds of someone entering the house at midnight. Good excuse to go to yard sales this spring at any rate.

The baby daughter continues to enjoy her Swedish clinical (evidence of an email received pasted below with major spelling/grammar corrections so you can actually read it)

We may have a small problem, I don't want to alarm you or anything but I'm not coming home. I love it too much here! :D We had a beautiful weekend here and met up with the people we knew and had a great time and Sunday when I finally did get up we layed out in the sun all day (and I didn't get burned). Then we had waffels for supper with a shrimpdip/sauce on them...very good. I was beat and in bed by 10 last night but worth it for sure. The people are too nice to say good by to, even after just a few weeks. Good luck prying my hands off the airplane to come home :P kärlek

She is able to give medications and have the opportunity for many clinical skills which wouldn't be available to her here. And the bonus is looking forward to a bit of travel before heading home next month.

I also had a nice email from one of the summer neighbours who's making a good recovery from some treatments and looking forward to going us if summer ever does arrive here. Good to see things getting back on track. I've been making some Dr. Quinn Medicine Woman calls locally to prevent someone from having to expose themselves to the healthcare system and all its germs and thinking that every time I head to one of the neighbours I'm saving the Dept of Health $75 minimum.

I'd decided to get this post done before the shore captain arrives home with his stack of documents requiring edits as he has a food inspector coming tomorrow afternoon to assess his QMP at the fish plant he is acquiring/merging with. Since I actually am knowledgeable about this topic, he is not but insists on doing what he has planned, I anticipate it will go as well as the debates about the occupational health and safety program. I laid out the ground rules today when he spoke firmly to me and said "if you're going to raise your voice to anyone, it's going to have to be where you pay someone to put up with that" and since he is stuck with his in-house editor he has temporarily modified his behavior.

Well, perhaps a few moments of solitude to scrap as I wrap up the Norway album, this will allow me to move on to the western project which will be a nice change from all the blue of the water. Hasta.