Wednesday, May 20, 2009

Scrapbook assistant

Well, this has been a long week, oh wait, it's only been two days, never mind, it's still been a long week. I'm updating as I've been completing the final page in my Norway cruise scrapbook - yes you heard that correctly - and it is less than a year since we traveled there so quite a Guiness Book moment if you know what I mean, but Gary is taking a nap on the page. And this after he's been out hunting June bugs so I want him to lie still in case he's captured and devoured any.

Today the local cable producer dropped off my copy of the DVD from the filming and it made me think of cruise ship speaking as Celebrity is requiring a copy of a speaker presenting to get chosen. It's not difficult to let the thoughts wander so and a nice diversion at any rate. I won't torture you with all the latest pleading for cruise ship speakers as it has been getting quite insistent but... suffice to say they cover everywhere from the west coast, Caribbean, trans Atlantic,Mediterranean, Europe, Scandanavia and Russia with a particularly toothsome offering of Baltimore to Bahamas in December which is too close to the holidays and at any rate, I am hanging tough for the fall season.

I spent some time doing research for the Swedish daughter today as she called with a challenge and the parameters were - easy recipes for dessert to be made tonight, has an oven, loaf pan, baking sheet, pots and pans and wanted to use not too many, cheap, and ingredients she'll use again. And I'm not even talking about the long list of "bleck that tastes awful I'm not going to eat that" which she is famous for. As you might imagine these restrictions somewhat limit most recipes you've ever heard off but I came up with a couple of suggestions. I also located a recipe for apple squares which I made. Yum.

A loyal blog reader has suggested that I arrange things so I can take in the writing workshop in Annapolis Royal which is being led by Charlotte Gray (Sisters in the Wilderness, Mrs. King etc) and although I would dearly love to - I can't on so many levels. Sigh. Mind you this instruction comes from someone who when offered the chance to travel to China with a national nurses group was encouraged by her husband to go and they sold a cottage they owned. She suggested some interesting reads (did I mention she's retired ?) as well with:

Mr Pip
Through Black Spruce
Water for Elephants
Zorro

as good possibilities. I do miss the book club we used to attend, but that was in another lifetime.

Oh, Gary has just moved his enormous carcass off the page I must seize the moment and then move this carcass off to bed. Later.