Tuesday, May 12, 2009

It's not Friday today?

Well, I'll update you a bit since I find myself with a split shift today. Meaning that I am supposedly finished work but have been voluntold to give a presentation at the EMO meeting three hours from now. This means I am missing the high speed internet meeting being held so you can see the seniority of the assigner here eh? The topic being - what else? - pandemic planning. All of a sudden everyone is interested, rather than just infection control folks whistling in the wind. I wonder why?

I participated in an audio broadcast from the national conference this afternoon, which meant I got to lock myself in my office for an hour so could not be reached - bliss - but the topic was not new and so...I nodded off (a luxury would've been noticed had I been attending in St. Johns) and almost fell out of my chair. That would've been an interesting Workers Compensation claim to file on myself for sure. It has lately occurred to me to ring the call button on the wall of my office (still maintained as a possible patient room) which says "push for help" as I could sure use some.

Speaking of which, I had an urgent email from the folks who bought our former house as they live in BC (until at least next year when they plan to retire and renovate) but her senior mother is living alone here until then. Apparently the daughter had been trying to call her since the day before and the line was busy, even at 4:30 a.m. so she was getting frantic and asked if I'd check. Of course it would be the day I was working an hour away so I reassured her by email that nothing happens in our area, I'd spoken to her the afternoon before and enlisted the aid of a neighbour to do a visual check and call me on my cell phone. The response shortly after was that "she's fine but she's been downloading on the internet, something about Windows since after supper and it's still not complete yet but she'll call her daughter this evening" So I relayed the message and the relief was palpable on the line from BC and she was going to call the RCMP back so they'd know her Mom was alright as she'd reported her concern. I chuckled when I heard that and told her they sure don't come often down our way and there were no axe murderers as she imagined. So, I refer again to the high speed meeting as improving our rural quality of life.

Well, one of the highlights of my day was that as it is Canada Health Day the volunteers came in and brought us all kinds of treats this morning which was a nice touch. I'd thought of doing something for the employees as this is tough times with the staffing etc. but that was as far as the idea got the thinking stage. Not sure I'm making much of an impact in my position. Sigh.

I found an article in the newspaper today on an organization which does good work globally called Sleeping Children Around the World which sounds like it's making a difference. Here's the link to check it out:

http://www.scaw.org/

I have spent a couple of evenings scrapbooking through which I've been reliving our trip to Norway etc. of last summer. A most enjoyable way to block out the distractions of late. I am soon to start on the western trip of last fall and that will be a different album to scrap so nice to change it up.