Saturday, March 6, 2010

Is it spring yet?

A beautiful sunny Saturday, with the only problem being the sun is shining on……snow still! Headed back from days off to work on Thursday and the storm followed me. Nasty drive home on Thursday evening and only a slightly better one in yesterday morning, at least on this secondary road. It’s March for goodness sake, enough of the white stuff already, although I have heard rumblings of more predicated for Tuesday, sigh. And although it isn’t the time of year that we expect two feet of snow this smile on the left from a summer neighbor hits a bit close to home. The mailbox installation survived the wet snow and snow plows and was (as the life partner predicted) pushed to the side with the onslaught but had withstood the barrage due to the metal shield. I was most impressed. He should apply for a patent. At least the sun today (certainly NOT at Caribbean strength) is warm enough to contribute to some major solar gain in this R2000 hacienda so the garden door is open and the cats have been in and out numerous times. Stanley (who isn’t known for his bravery) even yelled to go out on the run and experienced the snow for a while. My personal measurement of spring is when I can walk the dog without hat and gloves – not there yet.

I continue to (unfortunately) have an ongoing association with the technical support staff at Bell regarding the turbo stick. It was (slightly) reassuring to hear that it was not the desktop or netbook computer or anything I was doing to them (as had been suggested by previous techs) which was causing the problem. Apparently there is difficulty in the Bell software or system and the engineers are (according to their jargon) working on recreating the problem as it has been escalated, the ticket is still open and a callback will advise when it’s resolved. As I told Mohamed Abeed “that does not solve my problem of unreliable connectively” and he did agree with that. We discussed how I would contact customer support if this situation wasn’t resolved within two weeks as I don’t plan to be locked into a yearlong contract with this situation. I mean 35 min. to send one email after six attempts – ridiculous!

I was pretty impressed to get news from the western daughter that she was in the top 5 for sales in central Alberta within her bank. Considering the rocky economic climate that is not too shabby. The second daughter is enjoying her second practice teaching assignment which apparently is a great school without much staff turnover – good environment but not likely much in the way of a position. Hopefully the dues won’t have to be paid by substituting in the fall but it’s early days yet as classroom assignments aren’t finalized until May and then the repositioning begins.

Almost time to think of getting ready for work, but at least it’s a night shift where there is less management and their resultant requests. I am considering my night shifts precious this spring as we are booked to do 20 shifts within a six week period and I have 12 LDs and 8 LNs without any structure of the four on, four off rotation. Nice to be so versatile I get to work with everyone and everywhere eh?