Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Not a bad way to spend a day off

The past few days have been beautiful – sunny and warmer than the usual temperatures with just a slight breeze, requiring the garden door be left open to keep the interior environment manageable. In fact today (no matter what the date on the calendar says) I celebrated spring by hanging blankets on the clothesline. Ahh, the one type of housework I enjoy doing – the rest waits for the cleaning lady on Thursday and she has her work cut out for her as she hasn’t been here for almost a month between both of our vacations.

I started today off with some photos of the beautiful orchid my summer neighbour gave me last year as you can see here. I also snapped a picture of Klyde so you can see that his hair IS growing back and yes I am keeping to my promise of brushing him regularly so he doesn’t have to go through this again. Then I read the newspaper before heading in to town for a massage (tough day off so far eh?) I continued on to a great Frenchy’s shop where I made like Cinderella and found some wonderful shoes, an overnight bag, a GAP and Old Navy t-shirt for me and one for the shore captain which said “CSI Investigations” as he is a huge fan as well as a dickie for under his oil clothes in the winter, two sets of sheets for one of the daughters, pantyhose, and for Cuba a backpack, shopping bag and the find of the day – a bicycle saddlebag! On to the drugstore sales bin – cleaned up - and then groceries. Home in time to walk the dog before supper. Well actually, home in time to fight (again) with the Superior Propane call center and FINALLY get the charge completely removed from the bill for the tank exchange/refill of last fall and then walk the dog before making fish cakes (yum) for three.

The shore captain has a number of items on his to-do list for tomorrow which includes picking up goodies his mother is sending to the western daughter, a thumb drive to send her the Cuba photos and arranging for the salt fish and lobsters which are all being couriered by her sister. A quick trip to the city on Friday to drop all this off to daughter # 2 aka the mule.

Had a nice surprise to hear from a former work colleague telling me that the gang will be in Lunenburg next month and I actually will be free for an overnight visit. Yeehaw! Back to work in the morning again, the first of two more dreaded day shifts, but what can you do when you're not retired eh?