Monday, May 24, 2010

June bugs and more

Yes, yes, yes I survived (and passed) the TNCC (trauma nursing) course this weekend. It was one of the tougher ones I’ve done and with a pass of 70% for the skills and 80% for the theory exam; it was a nail biter as I waited for the instructor to correct my exam. I was thrilled with my mark of 92 and in truth would have been ecstatic with an 80 if it let me out of the situation. Although I’d spent two years in the nurses’ residence 35 years ago, it was a long two nights this time. The material was challenging, the hours were long and I was questioning my sanity on jumping at the chance to do the course. When I learned that the program cost about $400, I got to keep the textbook and the certification is good for four years, I brightened up a bit. A former colleague and I got to catch up on the news and agree that we are most pleased to not be doing the office jobs we were in previously. We also got a very brief (20 minute) shop in at Frenchy’s where I managed to score amongst other finds a virtually new suitcase and some boxers with fish on them for the boy wonder. We headed over to Zellers to find the TIDE listed in the flyer and I snagged a mattress cover for half price, bath sheets for $7 and two pillows for less than $3 each. Great buys were to be had as well at Staples and I picked up a portable hard drive to back up my photos and add some space to the netbook.

Speaking of the netbook (which I took with me for the weekend) when I checked my email while sitting outside the library which is something that makes me mad at Eastlink each and every time I do it…I had two messages on Facebook where I was dissing Eastlnk from neighbours telling me that the 27th we can start calling for high speed connection. I’m not sure which month or even year they mean but if it really is Thursday I will be celebrating! And hopefully calling for connection actually results in same. All digits crossed.

Today on my way home I stopped again at Staples as I was having trouble getting my external hard drive to do what I thought it should and the tech advised that netbooks are special and spent about 20 minutes getting mine all set up. I was most impressed with his abilities (you should trust a tall, think, geeky looking guy with glasses to know what to do with computers) and now have quite the technology toys (kind of like collecting miniatures) in a small bag. In fact, I showed the ebook reader to the shore captain this evening and I can guarantee you that it is extremely simple and user friendly as he selected a classic novel and began to read it. I shut out the light and retrieved it from the bed just a few minutes ago – good thing that it bookmarks itself – which is as exciting as birthdays get during spring lobstering for a 54 year old.

I had stopped at Superstore to pick up steaks for the BBQ on the way and as I headed to the quick checkout there was a man holding a carton of whipping cream and carrying on a conversation with another about lobstering. He offered to let me go first as I had an armful and continued his chat, when he fell into line behind me I said “wow, you catch as many lobsters as my husband on the phone” so he replied “oh, it’s that time of year” and laughed. When I headed out to the car he was parked next to me and asked “where does your husband lobster?” after we exchanged information and I named the life partner he said “oh you’re the nurse” and it came to me that as a new graduate (34 years ago now) I had taken this fellow after a car accident and head/neck injuries to the city on an ambulance trip. When I recalled our shared history, he chuckled and said “that’s why you look so familiar” to which I replied “you were a lucky young fellow that night”. It was a strange closing of the circle to meet up with one of the first trauma cases I dealt with after doing the trauma course this weekend.

After returning home this p.m. I took the dog out for a walk and as we were almost to the driveway I noticed a passing familiar vehicle which belongs to one of our ER docs. Apparently it’s some kind of Cadillac SUV according to the prodigal son, although I noticed the ‘foreign plates’ as the Dr. was out for a Sunday drive after church. He turned around and came back for a chat so I invited him in for a house tour (of a less than clean domicile due to leaving it to the care of two males for the weekend) and we had a nice chat. He was most impressed with the shore captain’s design and craftsman abilities.

Well, since my days off were spent in academic pursuits I found myself returning to work again this morning but at least the comfort of time and a half consoles me. Ugh June bugs on my doorstep this a.m. Later.