Monday, May 17, 2010

Serendipity moment

A quick update as I ready myself to head over to the NSNU Bargaining Conference here in Truro which is being held at a different hotel than the one we're booked in to stay at. Since I'm only here for one day I'm not too worried about the accomodations and this one does have highspeed internet access which is a plus for me.

The serendipity moment is that as NSNU members we are booked in to share a double room (something I'd actually forgotten about until checking in when I was told that my room mate had already arrived) here at the Best Western. Last evening I came through the door and started to introduce myself to the vaguely familiar looking individual sitting on one of the beds when it occurred at the same time to both of us that we in fact knew each other and used to work together in Goose Bay in the late 1970s. She was a British midwife/nurse who started work at the Melville Hospital there a few weeks before me in 1977. Apparently she had moved out to Nova Scotia buying a place in Italy Cross 5 or 6 years ago and works with the VON in Queens County. We knew a few of the same folks in VON (from my Homecare NS days) and mostly caught up on the Labarador news so it was a quick evening and a short night. Funny we hadn't run into each other since we're not that far apart and she is just down the road from the friend/butcher in Italy Cross which I used to visit, so I even knew which house was hers when she described it. What a small world!

Stopped for a quick visit with daughter # 2 on my way through Hammonds Plains last night to drop off lobsters and attempt (unsuccessfully) to pull up the back window which wouldn't close. Apparently my future son-in-law has a stronger grip and so now it is taped in place awaiting the attentions of his at work mechanic buddy. If not I'll take the beast home tonight and her father will return it on Thursday when he's down for fishery meetings and suit buying. Vehicles are such a necessary nuisance it seems.

Off to find out what is in store for the upcoming negotiations and then heading home this evening as it's back to a LN tomorrow. Later