Thursday, January 3, 2013

Have action packer will travel

This has been a rather long day so I'm about to call it in as tomorrow will be another, but first to update you. 

Less than two hours sleep last night as my mind raced with last minute details and the snoring from the bed partner was enough to put one over the edge. Up at 2:30 a.m. to leave the house by 3 a.m. after a quick goodbye to the dog - I sure miss her, even though I know she's being well cared for as she's walked by friends and the shore captain actually spoils her while pretending he doesn't - I think it's that whole unconditional love thing. The cats ignored me - they've had practice at that behaviour. 

The oldest daughter accompanied me to the airport to have the car for the remaining days of her vacation home. I was very glad for the company as there was quite a bit of snow and limited visibility at times. Made good time to the airport and that was a good thing as it was a very busy travel morning just after the holidays. By the time I checked in, went to the bathroom, made it through security and bought a juice, they were boarding my flight. It was a totally sold out flight and several people didn't make it on. I managed to catch a good nap on the way to Toronto even though I was wedged between a widow who winters in Florida and was home to welcome a grandchild into the world and a man (originally local to my area) who works in Victoria on vessels which go to the arctic. Time for a Starbucks blueberry scone and tea and we reboarded the plane. I was wedged between a kinesiologist who does fit testing in Fort McMurray and an American driller working north of Edmonton on a project. The plane was full of folks heading back out west to work - I think the airlines benefit the most from the downtown in the economy in eastern Canada and resulting jobs in the west. My guilty pleasure of the flight was watching that silly movie The Campaign. 

A bit of a wait and finally a shuttle bus to shuffle me and my two large duffel bags, one 90 L action packer full of non perishables, a sack of parka, mitts, and hat and a knapsack over to the Royal Executive Inn. A luggage cart to get the stuff to my room and then plan the shopping blitz. First a call to the health center in Taloyoak to see if they need anything "nope, but where are you?" So I explain I'll be in tomorrow on the 3:15 pm flight and am advised they'll send the janitor for me, so things are unfolding as expected. A cab to Canadian Tire to pick up a second 90L action packer and a visit to Walmart next door for fresh groceries and a return taxi home. So much excess packaging to be jettisoned and nice to have a fridge in the room to stack food having to be refrigerated. A wake up call and a shuttle to the airport booked. 

Met with a primary healthcare person who has worked in the communities I am going to / have been to and she is actually the daughter of a nurse I used to work with a few decades ago. We had a great supper in the pub and caught up on the news. She was very encouraging of my trip so if I wasn't excited enough before I sure am now. Although she tells me the fruit and veggies are very well wrapped as they spend the day on the plane, stopping in all the communities in very cold temps - I explain this is why I bought squash not lettuce. Since it was - 48 c with the wind chill in Taloyoak today, I best get rested up. Have organized the parka, mitts and hat for the a.m. Later.