Saturday, January 19, 2013

Here comes the sun.....

I walked to the COOP to pick up a few groceries after work and could put the $40 worth in a small bag. Good thing too though because it was -50 c with the wind chill and the biting wind and stinging snow even gave my parka a work out. As I was leaving the store a group of teenagers came out and piled on a skidoo and took off - no face masks, just hats and parkas - while I hunched into my scarf. I felt like a sissy. 

I'm told that a project which is done locally every year here is underway this week. The elders are commissioned to build and setup igloos just as they did about 50 years ago out on the land. You can visit them and experience just what iglu life was like. The kids all go out from the school and apparently you're welcome to sleep in them - some of the teachers have. Sounds like a wonderful photo op to me. Will post pics if I get there on Sunday.

Here comes the sun......
Today when I was looking out the window at lunchtime I noticed a skidoo pull up in front of the health centre with four people on it. Of course I didn't have my camera ready but my roommate says the most she's seen is six so that wasn't any kind of a record. I was looking out the window though because she had called my attention to the fact that the sun had returned here this week. It's lightest between 10:30 am and 12:30 p.m. and then pitch black by 2 p.m. again. This was the first time we'd seen it due to the cloud and ice fog the past few days. The person who does medical travel (arranges for scheduled flights for those requiring appointments in Yellowknife or Edmonton) told me today that when people see the sun coming back that they get energized. I am sure I would too if I hadn't seen it since November! I was asking about butterflies as the other clerk was wearing a scrub top with butterflies on it and I said "you don't have butterflies up here with the short summer do you?" and she assured me that they do "little small green ones, really pretty" she said. That was my biology lesson for the day. 

Had a nice Skype chat with my teacher daughter this evening who is going skiing tomorrow - have spoken to all three of them this week and so am caught up on the news. Well, time to rescue my scrubs from the high efficiency washer and dryer which is located in the laundry room outside our apartment. We are so spoiled. Had to do laundry as the hamper was getting full and you're never sure what a day on call will bring you. I leave you with this neat list - some you might know but not all I'm sure:


Enjoy your weekend!