Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Panic button

It is almost 2 a.m. and I am getting ready (for the second time since 11 pm) to settle in for the night as I'm on first call. The first failed attempt involved a call from the RCMP with someone covered in blood, + + intoxicated that required sutures in his eyebrow - not the prettiest or fastest craft job I've ever done but it put the edges back together and stopped the bleeding. A few minutes while I wind down to update the blog. 

Ajagk - traditional Inuit game
First, a picture of my purchase of the day. I wasn't sure if it really is a traditional Inuit game or if this was just something the marketing department for one of the local carvers thought up to convince the nurse on call to buy it, but I like it. It's made from caribou antler and reminds me of the ball and cup game we had as kids. It's a neat artifact and if anyone is called upon to produce something for show and tell - where here you go. One of my Inuit coworkers from Cambridge Bay assures me that it is a game from many generations ago and I'm sure it is as there were various games made with antlers and bones. As I type, I've been given the link to descriptions of Inuit games and apparently this is called an Ajagk. Here is the link:


Yesterday afternoon was a frantic catch up immunization clinic with BCG vaccinations for babies to mantoux tests and teenaged (with all the resultant drama) boosters. I was glad to make my way over to the COOP in the frigid weather to pick up a few things and clear my head afterwards. After supper I had a quiet night in where I decided that since I'd downloaded a few movies on my MacBook Air that I should treat myself to one as a distraction. I chose a chick flick just because I could and watched Friends with Benefits, which although it was predictable was well done and easy to watch. Good way to decompress and spend an evening. Might have to repeat that  therapy one of these nights. 

Mind you, laughter is pretty good therapy too and yesterday when the SHP (boss) and my coworker were in my office (discussing how the immunization clinic was going to be organized) I noticed a red button high up on the wall of my office. I asked if it were in fact a button to summon help. I was assured that it most certainly would do that. Apparently the WCB inspector had been touring the facility and asked if the panic button worked and the SHP (my Jamaican boss) said "I don't know why don't you try it" and....the inspector did. The signal doesn't make any sounds inside but a red flashing light is illuminated on top of the Judy Hill Memorial Health Centre and help is signalled from the RCMP, Fire Dept, the hamlet staff and more. Within minutes a fireman barged through the door with a hose on his shoulder and ran at top speed throughout the centre as he body checked my boss demanding to know "where's the fire?" and the parking lot was filled with RCMP truck, hamlet vehicles, fire truck while the waiting room held all those wanting to ensure that everything was safe. It was quite a scene. Not that I have any intention of exercising my personal safety device but I was impressed with the recounting of the tale, thinking of how many times nurses in 'civilization' are put at risk in their workplace without such safeguards or responses. 

In one of those six degrees of separation situations I have to describe how my boss and I share some history even though we've never met. I was reading a newspaper clipping from the summer describing how she had received one of the Queen's Jubilee medals. The article spoke of her coming from Jamaica to study in the UK and then to Canada in 1980 when she worked in Newfoundland and Labrador. When I asked what community she worked in while in Labrador she said "North West River" which was the next community to Goose Bay where I worked for International Grenfell Association (IGA) as well.  North West River was where the shore captain worked back in the day when he was RCMP and not a shore captain. This would've been just a few months after we left. Small world eh?

As I heard my coworker booking tickets from Edmonton to Puerta Vallarta in March I was pleased to receive a reply from the dive shop that my prescription lenses for my snorkel mask had arrived and would be ready for me to pick up when I arrive home in March. Will be glad to pack those for the Cuba trip which is getting closer every day. 

Since this is already an abbreviated night, I should crawl under the covers. Thinking of all those snow days at home and how unusual they are for the banana belt. Enjoy!