Friday, January 18, 2013

NOT a Polar Bear Alert

Okay so this topic is becoming the longest running story since Bonanza but....apparently last weekend it wasn't polar bear tracks which were sighted near the dump but rather wolverine tracks as confirmed by hunters. Oh, that makes it much better - NOT! I am hopeful of not engaging with a wolverine when I'm walking either. And no, there are no wolverine alerts issued, but the little critters are known to be quite vicious, so maybe there should be. Not sure if that's why their pelts are worth so much or not. Also not sure if I'll venture far this weekend as tomorrow (with the prediction for -51 c) I only have after work to walk to the COOP. Saturday and Sunday I'm on call. The sun is returning to Taloyoak this week. My roommate (who works for Homecare and is thus out and about) tells me that although it was cloudy this morning the sun almost peeked through sometime before noon. So although it won't raise the temperatures, it will lift the spirits of those waiting since November to see the sun. Maybe I'll see it on the weekend as it's predicted to be clear. 

Freight deliveries have been messed up this week as some of the flights have been cancelled due to the cold and even those which flew had restrictions on what could be shipped as some products don't do well at these temperatures. It always amazes me to treat a patient for something that you'd have to really prod someone down south the go home with, for example a gallbladder attack, then watch them pull on their parka without complaint and trudge off in to the arctic night with -50 c temperatures for a 15 minute walk home. Or to watch a family struggle an elderly person and their walker on to a skidoo (locally known as a machine) or a 4wheeler (locally known as a Honda - and no they're not all that brand) and take them home without a murmur. When I think of all the occasions in 'civilization' that families have shown up in the Emergency Dept. with a suitcase packed for an elderly family member and done the grammy dump saying "she's not coming home" and walking away, often for someone who is less trouble than the elder on the machine mentioned above well.....it makes me glad to be working at over 69 degrees north at present. Influenza has been confirmed in our region so we shall see how I feel after a wave of that making it through the community. We are still doing our best to immunize the community but the uptake throughout the north hasn't been great so it's anyone's guess what happens. 

I have discovered from folks who have been working north much longer than I that online shopping through Costco.ca, Best Buy, Future Shop, Old Navy and Amazon.ca all ship for free to Nunavut. Although many companies advertise free shipping, the fine print often says 'we do not ship to Nunavut'. And speaking of Amazon, I received an email from them advising that they'd credited my account in the amount of 21 cents as overpayment in international fees. Thanks a bunch - that'll really make a difference. The online shopping phenomenon predisposition is almost universal with northern nurses it seems. 

Had a good evening where I baked oatmeal chocolate chip cookies (the room mate says I am completely inappropriate for her New Years resolution) then Skyped the oldest daughter and visited with her kitties - they are SO cute and so lucky to have been rescued and living the pampered life. Maybe I'll track down the middle daughter and have Skyped with them all by the weekend and caught up on all the news. I am pleased to be only on second call tonight and am calling it in early as I had a short night on call last night.