Monday, May 7, 2007

A day off?

I survived the new first aid curriculum and so did all of the students. It was a great day. I always wish that could be my day job (it was once) but not for now. Anticipation is always more intense than the actual so my fears did not materialize. The group were well behaved, interested and didn’t notice that I was feeling my way through all the changes. We managed to practice defibrillation (simulated) without any major disasters. I told them that I was of an age when even nurses were not allowed to defibrillate in hospitals less than 20 years ago and here we were practicing with employees in a store! What great changes.

It was nice to be able to have an hour for lunch (their routine) so I wandered down to the edge of the bay to eat my lunch and read the newspaper. Positively decadent in the sunshine. Almost made taking the time in lieu day worthwhile.

It was nice to find that in a peace offering the male offspring had made a start at cleaning up the barn "kicked the mess around" as his still huffy father described it but at least there was some attempt. With all the to and fro of men driving lobsters around there were short blocks of time allotted to supper, making bread, walking the dog, exercise routine (that took three tries to complete) making lunch and finally settling here at the computer.

In the writing workshop we were asked to do a short piece on….making bread so this is what I wrote:
The routine of lobster season includes making lunch for the boat. This means that the first task when coming through the door from work is to start the oatmeal bread in the bread machine (much like bringing in the wood for the stove as a child).Wait too long to begin and at midnight you’re tapping your foot, looking at the clock and waiting for the insistent beep signaling the completion to sound. One good thing about the shrill alarm is that it will wake the dead or at least the semi conscious with book fallen from the fingers lying on the couch. As the evening progresses through the familiar 4 hr. and 10 min. routine of mixing, rising, kneading, and finally aromatic baking…the universe is unfolding as it should.

One of the other participants asked me why I made bread everyday? I took the question at face value and said “because it needs to be done and it‘s easier than tuna sandwiches” but then realized I didn’t sound like much of a feminist so made my apologies. However, when I thought about it I replied “it’s my contribution as men are the hunters and gatherers and I am keeping the home fires burning plus I know it’s appreciated”.

Well since tomorrow is a dentist appointment in the morning, that should be a fun way to start my day. The weather is getting more spring like. The forecast is for 28c inland and 12c where coastal breezes blow onshore. That should tell you what temperature the ocean is eh?