Sunday, May 6, 2007

Prodigal Son

A second post of the day for all you hanging on the edge of your chairs wondering what has happened to the prodigal son... he has returned. Covered in grease and looking as if he's been sleeping rough - which appears to have been the case as on Friday night his truck broke down on the way home so he locked the doors and slept. Says it was dirt in the gas tank which he had to drain, clean and refill - good thing he's a unlicensed mechanic. Saturday he and a friend headed into camp where there had been squatters so that meant a lot of cleaning up.

At no point did it occur to him to call anyone and let them know that a) he was ok and b) resigning from his job position as scab over aft. So he made a difficult situation even more unpleasant by not doing the right thing and giving notice. Trying to impress upon him that this kind of behavior gives us great fear for his future, which is tied into the family business, is a nigh impossible task. I can grasp how difficult it is for his father to make choices in the fishery which are based on whether or not this lad can step up to the plate. I watch this soon to be 51 yr old man do tasks which he wishes he didn't have to, as a hedge against the future in the hopes that he'll be able to slow down with it hinging on the behavior of a 19 yr old. Talk about being a risk taker eh?

I'm thinking that it must be tough coming of age as a young male (or an old one for that matter) as I've only understood the feminine perspective from me and my sisters teen years and now dealing personally with three young ladies as well. Communication (or noncommunication) styles, handling disputes, and just all the angst is very gender specific. I realize that others have more to bear as I remind myself that I've never bailed him out of jail, visited him in hospital after an accident or carried through on my thoughts of shaking him into some sort of sense. Give me strength!

I wish there was something I could do for/about the two of them but although I'm along for the ride on this roller coaster there's not much I can do. Needless to say after a 'discussion' I have sent them both to their corners er I mean respective beds. Good thing I've had my first aid course to prepare for to keep my head on straight. To think that others lead such tame existences.