Friday, May 11, 2007

Everybodys working for the Weekend

Today at work I registered for a Power Point training workshop for June. I had the idea when one of my work group mentioned attending an intermediate Excel course and I unkindly thought of them using it for a partners business. It then occurred to me that if I’m going to do presentations for my cruise speaking they had better be top notch and what better way to learn that than through work. Mind you the skills will come in handy for presentations in my gainful employment as well.

The other positive event at my job was that for Canada Health Day (Monday coming) the CEO gives all employees a slip of paper which is good for a free coffee or tea and muffin (at the cafeteria of course not Tim Hortons) Now that’s a bit disconcerting when this turns out to be the highlight of your day. I spent a couple of hours tossing and filing this afternoon as I was completely devoid of any creative energies for more challenging tasks.

One of the local physicians (our family Dr actually) was charting in the nurses station and we hadn’t connected for a few weeks as I’d been on vacation, then he had and we were both busy. I said to him “I haven’t seen you in a while, what have you been up to?” and he says “oh I’ve been to Detox” so I smiled and said “really?” To which he replied “nah but it makes people feel sorry for you if you tell them that, I’ve just been drinking” which caused me one of my few chuckles of the day. Only amusing because he’s really not much of an imbiber at all but he does have an intact sense of humor.

There have been some unusual occurrences at work (well actually it’s not unusual for me to get involved in strange happenings) and one of my colleagues says “you’ll have to write a book” I always say that no one would believe it was non-fiction. So lately the shorthand has become “put that in the book” when I’m relating the latest kink in the soap opera of… as the stomach turns.

I was listening to CBC today and Linden McIntyre (of former journalism fame) was being interviewed about his new book called Causeway. It’s a memoir written about his life growing up in Cape Breton and sounds very good. I’m guessing I’ll like it better than some of his reporting on Fifth Estate etc. He was discussing his father, the tough life his father had and his relationship with him and I found myself thinking ‘most fathers of that time had tough times and I could write about my fathers interesting life too’. So maybe a memoir would be a good project.

I ran into a former RCMP officer today and he asked how I was “not retired” I replied. I think I’m going to work on inserting that retired word into my conversations every day until it becomes expected. You need to name something to make it happen.

As I was grocery shopping on the way home tonight I ran into one of the real estate agents and said to her “you’ve got to sell our old house, I know you showed it last fall” and she replied that she’d shown it last week again but no one is interesting in putting in a bid on anything lately. Said she was going behind instead of ahead in her career change. We talked about the price, setting and quality of life of the area and she agreed there’s no reason the place should still be on the market.

Speaking of idyllic country life. As I was meandering along the country road that runs by our house taking the dog for her walk I was idly thinking of all things spring - peepers, pussy willows and guggins (the more sophisticated term being minnows) as I passed the neighbours. As many fishermen he has a moderate case of noise induced hearing loss and was operating a gas powered wood splitter beside his shed oblivious to my progress. Suddenly I became aware of a din rising above the machinery, it was their small yappy dog (we have a cat larger than this animal) who was rounding the corner of the driveway and quickly bearing down on us. I glanced up to see a small black blur with teeth bared and snapping making ferocious noises and headed for my dog. I attempted to reel in the retractable leash and drag my now retaliating in self defense canine with me while yelling at the aggressor who was completely ignoring me and bent on attack.. The finale came after the yapper managed a couple of nips on our much bigger dog prompting her to take a chomp out of her attacker - causing retreat. What an aerobic workout.

There are plans afoot to head into town tomorrow with daughter # 1 to take Mom out for an ice cream for Mothers Day. There’s nothing else we can give her except the gift of our time and attention. I will not brave the crowds who swarm nursing homes on Mothers Day (much like those who attend church at Christmas and Easter) but who do not darken the doors the remainder of the year. Mothers Day is always a frantic time as at least 60 of the 66 residents in that facility are female - a commentary on the gender based demographics of life expectancy. It’s a good thing today is Friday because if I feel like this and it’s not.. .I’m in trouble.