Wednesday, May 23, 2007

Isn't it Friday yet?

This is the magnificent view out of my living room looking down the harbour which I enjoyed this morning when I got up for work. Now I’m certainly not a morning person, but this almost makes it worth while being up at 6:30 a.m. I noticed one of the neighbours checking his traps on the ledges on the way up the harbour, then swinging around in front of the house and back out again with the sunlight shining off the boat. I’m told that it’s impossible to see into the windows of our place from the water, and I didn’t hear of any distress calls so no one saw me getting myself together in the bedroom for gainful employment.

I noticed the soon to be grad student hadn’t stirred by 5 to 7 so I went to wake her and was given the same message I received at about the same time one day last week “I don’t have to get up early, it’s spring carnival” Now I’m pretty sure I would remember if the same line was used twice and spring carnival isn’t spread out over two weeks, but apparently a sleep deprived teenager didn’t. First rule of the patron saint of liars is to not repeat yourself. I told her that I hoped she got a good mark in spring carnival and I wondered if they gave a bursary. Only six more weeks of school remaining and the grad year doldrums are hard to escape.

Part of the teenaged sleep deprivation likely stems from the late night birthday cupcake baking spree held for a classmate after she came from an evening shift. Now most people if they woke up at 12:20 a.m. hearing noises in the kitchen might suspect a burglar, but in this place it could be offspring, spouse leaving, you name it. I listened to the banging and clanging for a bit and then it came to me ‘someone is baking’ so I rolled over and went back to sleep. Oh to live in an empty nest.

When I arrived at work the construction was going full tilt and the associated grumbling was at its usual level. I dragged myself to the office and went through the morning check in routine - unlock the door, check the temperature of the vaccine fridge and record it, log in to the computer, check messages and change the voice mail recording, unlock the desk and filing cabinet, put the lunch away and dig out the to-do list, check email and… just as I was trying to print the newest copy of the consent which had been sent for mumps vaccine - the photocopier which is a goodly hike up the hall to begin with went on a work to rule campaign refusing to spit out anything. As I was having murderous thoughts about the machine I spied two of the exhausted night staff bearing down on me for immunization. I herded them into my office, gave them a candy, called the admin assistant to give me the code to the next nearest printer and sent the copy of the consent there which was quite the stomp with my visitors waiting. The copier was the reverse to the one I use regularly so in order to get a two sided copy it only took me 5 tries. Good work. This is going to be a great day if this is any indication. And what a prophetic thought that was! I found the staff drooling in two chairs when I finally arrived from my overland excursion so I quickly gave two shots and sent them home to bed.

The routine of trying to finish up the contact tracing, answer the phone and handle the regular chores was even more of a juggling act than usual. I headed over to the nursing unit to do some checking, answering questions and general sleuthing. In between both in person and on the phone there was a fair bit of he said/she said from a number of sources and I nodded calmly to each offering. Reminders of a fit testing technician arriving next week - no we're not doing aerobics but staff are being fitted for N95 particular respirator masks, a requirement for health care workers. Just add it to the list I tell myself.

By mid afternoon I had an uneasy hunch about a casually mentioned situation in another institution I’m covering while my team member is on vacation. I decided to follow it up and by the time I had tracked down the facts from various players it was getting close to leaving time. But leaving was only wishful thinking by the time I sorted out the temporary solution to the problem and headed out with my cell stuck to my ear it was still an hour past quitting time. I am supposed to head out to an information session in the morning but the jury’s out on whether I’ll actually make it to that or not. My counterpart has already given up on going as the place was just in tatters on her end.

I arrived home to find various domestic crises taking place so my contribution was to walk the dog - I assure you it was a life saving measure (mine) and I felt human upon return. The oldest and youngest daughter got supper together and we waited for the birthday boy to return from putting lobsters in the pound at 8 p.m. so we could eat and... have some ice cream cake. He was most pleased with his present of a radio/CD player which will hook up to the sauna. Now the hooking it up will require moving the Christmas decorations from the closet but it was worth it to see the smile on his face.

I leave you with a smile that a friend forwarded - maybe we find this funnier in NS as the ticks are out:

Subject: Ticks

I hate it when people forward bogus warnings, and I have even done it myself a couple times unintentionally but this one is real and it's important. So please send this warning to everyone on your e-mail list. If someone comes to your front door saying they are checking for ticks due to the warm weather and asks you to take your clothes off and dance around with your arms up, do NOT do it!!! THIS IS A SCAM!! They only want to see you naked.

I wish I'd received this warning yesterday. I feel so stupid.