Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Travel dreaming

One of the positive happenings today was to receive my Air Miles statement and discover that we’ve collected 3717 air miles as of today. When you compute that a round trip from Halifax to Toronto is 1350 or Boston, New York or New Jersey is 1200 air miles per person the thought of escaping is not all that far fetched. Further travel investigation led to the discovery that flights from Halifax into Holguin, Cuba this winter are flying on Thursdays, beginning February 7th. The cost however hasn’t dropped. In keeping with the travel theme I’ve listed places I’ve visited (as per a blog I checked out today) You can find the list at the bottom of the postings on this page. I’m guessing that an even more enjoyable list would be the ‘places I’d like to visit’ one. Much like the 500 places you should see before you die guide.

In keeping with the travel theme my life partner arrived home with an application for an Aeroplan card through Home Hardware. Now this will work to attach to his plant account when they pay monthly. We’d been talking about doing this for a while and he remembered to pick it up today (didn’t remember to return the microwave to the furniture store even though he drove by it twice though) Now this house has a Bermuda Triangle effect when you set anything down so you can guess what happened. I had the card sitting beside the computer as I was going to activate it online. In the meantime the vintner is putting on two wine kits (always a good idea - NOT - to wait until AFTER the cleaning lady has scrubbed to slosh water, juice, yeast etc on the floor, counters and around the sink) beside me and… do you think we can find that danged card? We have torn the mud room, kitchen and hallway (the only places it ever touched) apart and it has completely disappeared. Impossible yes, but it has happened. Now when I stop to pick up a replacement tomorrow we will find it I’m sure.

I’ve been working on the cruise ship speaking plan…you know power point course, making arrangements for a photo etc. and it occurred to me that I stand to inherit a laptop this fall when baby daughter goes off to university with her new one, leaving the antique at home. No, it’s not very fancy but it will run power point presentations and that’s what is required. So ticking off my list one task at a time.

Here I am discussing travel and my spouse and I can’t get it together to go out to a movie with this crazy life we’re leading. Our idea of a date was last night for me to mention that I’d thought of renting a movie and himself to check out the movie channel on TV to find out what was on - oh starting in 10 minutes it’s Bee Season with Richard Gere, Juliet Binoche etc. It’s the one about the little girl who goes on to the national spelling bee and the family unraveling that takes place. It’s a good movie but not likely one that mister would have chosen, however after the ‘we never go anywhere’ spiel he was reluctant to sound uncooperative and enjoyed it in spite of himself.

My boss sent along a gift for nurses week which was a small flashlight which read ‘nurses make each day brighter’ so I told her that she could now call me Florence - as in Nightingale the lady of the lamp. This was about the bestest thing that happened to be work wise lately. I’ve decided that even though I would vote for dogcatcher if an election was held (women didn’t always have the right to vote my mother remembers) I don’t enjoy politics - especially the small p type. A merry go round of teleconferences, phone calls and planning for immunization has become my work life. Tomorrow it’s another trip to help out with immunization at the district facility. If I never hear the word mumps again I will be a happy woman. For all you nurse blog readers out there I'm including the link to Nurse Ratcheds (you remember her from the movie One Flew Over the Cuckoos Nest don't you?) here:
http://nurse-ratcheds.blogspot.com/
Now this is one very strong nurse blog with lots of links. You could get lost for days or at least not hurt yourself doing any housework calling your name.

To end on a more positive tone... I'm pasting the link to the blog where this one was listed on the blogroll:

http://www.smartlikestreetcar.com/

When you navigate the page, the blogroll is on the left and there is old nurse just above Stephen Kimber - keeping illustrious company in the form of a journalism prof eh?