Saturday, September 15, 2007

Mini vacation synopsis


As I sat in the hotel room working on my laptop I could pretend I was working on my novel (not) or was a business executive (ugh) or I just enjoy myself as I’d loaded up the CD of lobstering photos that daughter # 1 provided courtesy of her banding / photo journaling project last fall. I’m going to put together a PowerPoint presentation of these shots for my presentation to be filmed. I don’t have a photo editing program on this computer though so will have to install that to finish it up. I have the shots all organized and have accessed the shore captain’s technical info for added punch. With the little mini-vacation I even found a few moments to update (off the top of my head) the Family Tree Maker (genealogy) database.

I had a great day by myself, despite the weather Tuesday, as countrywoman loose in the city. First I headed out Bayers Lake and true to the rule that you always meet someone from home the contractor who built our house parked next to me so we caught up on the news. I headed over to Staples in search of a cooling mat for the laptop and although I didn’t find one of those there was a great sale on computer desks so I picked one up. I now have plans when I get home to move the computer from the mudroom to the TV room thus giving me a proper sewing area and moving all the tech stuff into the one room. Then I picked up jeans and a shirt as instructed by the meeting man and then on to lunch with my OHN friend. We had a great catch up visit and I was most interested in her stories as a UNB nursing student. After lunch I found a pair of pillows as those on the guest bed have gone to NB and the cats (or other guests) need something to sleep on. I spent a pleasant ½ hour in Carsand Mosher browsing for scrapbook supplies then headed over to Chapters found the latest Kathy Reichs novel for me, and a naval history for the shore captain. Spent some time reviewing the cruise magazines to see what was on the horizon. I remembered that I had a credit at the dive shop, as they weren’t able to fill my prescription lenses in my mask so got my refund and headed on back to the hotel just as the meeting was ending.

Tuesday evening we headed out for supper and made our way to Pogue Fado before all the university students struck. If I hear one more comment on student debt load I will have to remind the speaker of the crowded bars and eateries when students return

I discovered the hotel has Internet access so I checked email and arranged a lunch date for Wednesday with a former colleague from the insurance company – the only one I really liked in the whole bunch of them. So I’m doing pretty well for a social life as I tag along. As I was waiting to connect with my former colleague I spotted a sleazebag salesman who had known my position was about to be cancelled with them and did nothing. He must still have a guilty conscience as he rushed over to say that he knew we hadn’t parted on the best of terms but he was sure I understood now etc. Must be awful living your life as such a slime ball. I assured him the best thing that had ever happened to me was being ‘reorganized’ from that company, that I hadn’t forgotten at all but that I had no regrets or feelings of guilt. He was mopping his brow and stammering by the time I exited. The serendipity of running into him for some closure still amazes me. It was nice to hear how things are still the same (unfortunately) so I sure don’t miss that. Makes it easier to do the job I have.

Finding some material for sauna curtains (to keep the heat in) at a fabric store somewhere turned into a major project. I spent over an hour wandering around Dartmouth (major road construction at every turn) and still couldn’t locate a fabric store. Bayers Road Thursday a.m. is the plan as it’s the only spot I haven’t searched.

The shore captain opted out of one of his Wed. afternoon meetings (the rest of them are being paid to be here he says) and we headed downtown to be tourists on the beautiful late summer afternoon. We stopped at the Argyle Bar & Grill and I had a second lunch (another salad so I wasn’t feeling too guilty) on the deck. Then we wandered down to the waterfront and back up to the Split Crow to enjoy their deck. I browsed a bit while mister checked in on the state of the fishery at home and I discovered that the rotary phone which is stashed somewhere in the old house is worth $35 – amazing. Still no fabric, it amazes me how the downtown core has decayed. We headed back up the hill – the climb only drawback of staying at the Citadel Inn – with time for a snooze (him) and book (her) before mister left for a retirement dinner. I headed down for a few laps of the pool and a soak in the hot tub. All this decadence is tough to leave. Sigh.

Thursday was another beautiful sunny day with a run out to Bayers Road and I was remarkably restrained at Fabricville as the new fall fabrics were beautiful and the sales great. I found some beige fleece at a good price so now will now how to create the sauna curtains. I continued on out to Pete’s Frootique and did some veggie shopping – cheddar cauliflower, grape tomatoes, fresh beans, Iranian dates and more. There was a woman with two cute preschoolers ‘helping’ her shop and I told her how quickly those years pass as my baby was in university. She had four little ones as well and we compared notes while the little guy who was two tried to figure out how the cart, conveyer belt, displays, pallet jack etc. worked and the little girl was ‘looking after’ him.

I ended up being the chauffeur home while the shore captain had the cell phone attached to his ear. A better option than him distractedly driving while doing this. By the time the messages and mail were dealt with, the in-house mister fix-it assembled the computer desk and pets sorted out, it was time for a quick supper before the shore captain headed over to chase boats. The evening was spent switching the computer from mudroom to den (or man cave as it is better known now) and organizing my sewing area, which required major cat fur removal. Lots more space in both rooms and definitely more organized. I will post a photo when I get them uploaded.

Friday brought a return to work, if only for one day. The CEO, Chairman of the Board and several department heads served a BBQ to staff so it was nice to have a free lunch. Home in time to do a few things and head over to our summer neighbours for supper. I’ve done pretty well for myself as in the past ten days I’ve only had to cook one meal. Astounding. Had a fine evening of great food, conversation and laughs. Gotta love weekends.