Monday, September 3, 2007

No, I don't wanna...

No, I don't wanna go back to work tomorrow after 10 days away because 1) it wasn't long enough (never is) 2) I really only had the past two days after all the students were transported to universities 3) the first day back after vacation means you are waiting to be pounced on by folks who didn't want to bother the team member covering 4) the Tuesday after a long weekend is frantic enough to begin with 5) I have to go to the district facility for a large orientation group 6) I'd rather be retired.

Actually we've been pretty spoiled in this household for the past 10 days as mealtimes, errands etc. have been very flexible. Must be what it's like to be retired. In the past 31 years there has been a period of about three years where I didn't work outside the home. Now mind you this was with three childen under the age of three so I was certainly working if not for $. I've worked at three (or more) jobs at the same time and done lots of nights so I really don't have any idea of what 'staying home' is. But I'd be willing to risk a blind test.

This a.m. I was up at 5 a.m. to pick up a man who can't drive two vehicles at the same time. He made his first trip to the fishplant over at 4:30 and I retrieved him then headed back to bed (thinking I was glad I'm not self-employed) as he set out on his second run. When I commented this evening that he'd had a long day he corrected me that it'd been a short night.

When I finally crawled out of bed for the second time I spent the day puttering as I busied myself with the domestic duties of making brown bread, laundry, putting the final touches on the two reorganized rooms (which the cats have now claimed as they've conquered their fear of change), varnishing the washstand I've refinished three coats and the wine rack leg of the kitchen sandwich bar two coats, walking the dog, getting back onto the exercise program (no audience now but the felines so no excuses) and making supper.

Tonight the life partner and I went to see The Bourne Ultimatum and it was a good action movie (meaning one he who won't leave the house after supper for social engagements unless threatened will attend and one I can tolerate). It is never a bad evening when you get to watch Matt Damon for a couple of hours. Watching flicks in the musty, older local theater takes me back to my youth as opposed to the new multi-cinemas. We saw lots of deer and a shooting star (yes of course I wished) on the way home.

Much better idea than staying home and suffering Sunday Night Syndrome (anticipation of return to work in the a.m. with attendant insomnia and mind racing) albeit on a Monday. Actually this week does have the fact that it is only four workdays to recommend it, tomorrow the cleaning lady comes and there's a scrapbooking workshop tomorrow p.m. which daughter # 1 and I are taking in as fishing is distracting the partners.

And the final plans for the writing workshop at the Y Camp are trickling in. Can't wait! My horoscope (see below) is advising me on life balance what can I say?

This is a hard phase for you as you are drawn into other people's battles. It's not that you don't want to help -- you do and you do it well. It's just that the metaphysical lightning strikes and all of a sudden the sky lights up so you see the whole picture quite clearly. You may realize that if you don't take care of your own needs, you won't have anything to give to others. Make changes in your priorities to bring your life into balance.