Saturday, August 16, 2008

How lucky is that?

Just had a phone call from daughter # 1 in Red Deer who was telling us that while attending her staff BBQ (she's only been with the company for a couple of months) she won......a laptop!!!! Can't think of anything she could more likely use to keep in touch. When we were talking the evening before I reminded her how lucky she is when she was listing off the prizes to be won - laptop, wii, WestJet travel certificate - and she agreed she should go just in case. I can't begin to list all the prizes she's won but I well remember the first one. I put her name on a Mothers Day draw at the local grocery store and I had to write it because she was too young to do so. When they called from the store at 9:30 p.m. as they drew for the mum at closing time and asked for her by name her father who had answered the phone said "she's only three years old, she's in bed, what's this about?" to the confused clerk. And there have been various other wins to the point I've contemplated having her buy a lottery ticket for me as my retirement plan. Will have to catch up on the other news of the BBQ tomorrow. She'll be able to read the blog more regularly now.

The trip to the city went well, long day but relatively uneventful. Got the passport renewal underway and will have to content myself with staying in the country for the next couple of weeks until it's returned. Got to complete the errand list and have a visit with daughter # 2 as a bonus. Mostly it was wonderful to have a day away from work.

I came home to find that shore captains phone had malfunctioned (I'm sure it's terminal from the injury) and he had left the computer online so I wasn't able to reach him to let him know to start supper. Nor was the captain of the boat he'd just sent off fishing. They had made in a short distance, had a leak in a hydraulic hose and subsequently he had to find someone to tow them in, then the gear had to be unloaded. This morning was for repairs and a repeat of the previous day. They're headed out again and as always no news is good news.

Today since it was raining and foggy I headed over the Archelaus Smith museum to do some genealogy research. Got the bright idea to take the laptop and transfer the info directly rather than making notes and entering data. Everything was going along just great until the program decided to start saving birth and marriage dates as multiple years as in 1956/57 etc. I even called a computer expert friend who is a Family Tree Maker guru to no avail. It was too frustrating to continue as I'll have to edit the dates now for a number I entered. Hopefully a newer copy she has will relieve the problem later in the week as the museum is only open for a few more weeks.

A peach cobbler and casserole later I'm finished with my domestic duties. Since the forecast tomorrow is for sunshine I'm making plans to get some of that on me.